Importance of being published? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Importance of being published?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:06 am

Hey all,
I have a quick question for you guys. I'm a 2L on a secondary journal at a t-14 school. My editor just told me that I have a good chance of getting my note published, but that it will be very time consuming next year. My question to you guys-- is publication really important? I already have a summer SA position.
Gracias!

LawIdiot86

Silver

Re: Importance of being published?

Post by LawIdiot86 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey all,
I have a quick question for you guys. I'm a 2L on a secondary journal at a t-14 school. My editor just told me that I have a good chance of getting my note published, but that it will be very time consuming next year. My question to you guys-- is publication really important? I already have a summer SA position.
Gracias!
Yes, I had a ton of firms (I'm on an odd schedule, so I interviewed at OCI after publication) and judges mention it and ask me about it. Even if you aren't sure you ever want to leave your summer SA firm, it looks good already having stuff in the publications section of the firm bio.

DCDuck

Bronze

Post by DCDuck » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:21 pm

Yes, it is worth the extra effort.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:26 pm

Eh. Do it if you want. None of those with fed clerkships from my school were published. Grades trump all... at most the publication is a nice talking point for interviews as the previous poster said. Getting a note published is a lot different than actually submitting and getting an article published.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:23 pm

getting an article published, or getting something published in a non-home journal - such a big deal?
I know someone with poor grades got her 'note' published in a third-tier law school's secondary journal. It has not helped her get a job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:58 pm

Yeah, I can see how publication might be a slight bump if it's Law Review (however, even then, there are a number of people at my school who have clerkships with Supreme Court feeder judges, and never got published). But for a secondary journal? I kind of doubt it.

cantaboot

Bronze

Post by cantaboot » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:48 pm

I think it's worth it if you want a clerkship - any slight edge would be worth it.

but come on - will it be a lot of work? really? you'll be writing a note/paper for the journal anyway and you'll also be writing papers for seminars....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”