California Character & Fitness

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

California Character & Fitness

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:09 pm

Hey all,

I'm currently doing the California C&F and wondering if anyone else had experience with it. After going through it, it seems like they only want convictions... does this mean I don't need to disclose other incidents such as arrests that do not result in convictions, noise complaints where the police came to my apartment, and school-related disciplinary events? Sorry if this is a stupid question (they seem to specifically say not to include arrests that didnt end in convictions), but after all the talk about needing to disclose EVERY incident that has ever happened in the past from the law school/TLS etc. I find it a little surprising that they only want convictions and just wanted to make sure...

thanks in advance. apologies for the rambling post.

Anonymous User

Re: California Character & Fitness

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey all,

I'm currently doing the California C&F and wondering if anyone else had experience with it. After going through it, it seems like they only want convictions... does this mean I don't need to disclose other incidents such as arrests that do not result in convictions, noise complaints where the police came to my apartment, and school-related disciplinary events? Sorry if this is a stupid question (they seem to specifically say not to include arrests that didnt end in convictions), but after all the talk about needing to disclose EVERY incident that has ever happened in the past from the law school/TLS etc. I find it a little surprising that they only want convictions and just wanted to make sure...

thanks in advance. apologies for the rambling post.

I pulled my C&F application:

Civil Actions and Administrative Proceedings
15.1 asks whether you are or have been a party to a civil action or admin proceeding (including divorce, dissolution, smal claims, worker's comp, restraining orders, etc.

Fraud, Misrepresentation, Legal Malpractice
15.3 Have you every had a complaint alleging fraud, deceit, misrepresentation, forgery, or legal malpractice filed and sustained against you in any civil, criminal or admin forum?

Scholastic Discipline:
15.4. Have you ever been found to have violated a college or university honor code or been dropped, suspended, warned, placed on scholastic or disciplinary probation, expected, or requested to resign or allowed to resign in lieu of discipline from any college or university (including law school), or otherwise subjected to discipline by any such institution or requested or advised by any such institution to discontinue your studies therein?

Convictions
16.1a: Have you ever been convicted of the violation of a misdemeanor or felony? As used herein, a conviction includes a plea of guilty or nolo contendere or a verdict or finding of guilt, regardless of whether sentence is imposed by the court.

16.2 Are you awaiting final adjudication for any incident?

16.3 Have you ever been held in contempt of court?

16.4 Have you ever been granted immunity in lieu of criminal prosecution?

You probably don't have to disclose police arrests or neighbor's noise complaint.

But you do have to disclose school discipline actions (15.4 "or otherwise subject to discipline . . . .").

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:25 pm

what about something like a noise complaint in college (due to partying) that resulted in campus security coming to the room and giving us a warning, but not issuing any citations etc.

Postby 20160810 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what about something like a noise complaint in college (due to partying) that resulted in campus security coming to the room and giving us a warning, but not issuing any citations etc.

Seriously? As written here, what basically happened was someone told you to turn the stereo down. There is no chance this needs to be reported.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:54 pm

Man, what a pain in the butt. Start early!

Return to “Legal Employment”