Judicial Internships

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Judicial Internships

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:50 pm

Short of a Big Law SA position it has been rumored that no one really cares what you do during your 1L summer, as long as it is in the legal field. So if my 1L summer is spent as an intern for a judge does it make a difference if the judge is state, district, federal, local or whatever other kind of judge I left out? Is there a prestigious pecking order, or as noted earlier, no one really cares (just pick one!).

ilovesf

Re: Judicial Internships

Postby ilovesf » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:58 pm

There are soooooo many threads about this. Read them all. Also, why anonymous?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:27 pm

Just wondering if there might be a difference.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

target

Postby target » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:28 pm

What would be the difference in your opinion? And again, why anonymous?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:31 pm

target wrote:What would be the difference in your opinion? And again, why anonymous?

No idea if there is a difference. Because I am interviewing with judges.

target

Postby target » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:41 pm

take whatever the first judicial extern/intern offer you receive since you shouldn't renege judge's offer anyway (my CSO hammers this point to all 1Ls looking for judicial extern). Within fed courts or state courts, the higher level of course is better than the lower level. Fed judge sounds more impressive than state judge unless you compare a fed district judge and state supreme (whatever your state calls the highest state court) court judge. Intern for specialized judges should help you if you are especially interested in that specialized area. For OCI purpose, generally firms don't care which judge you interned for.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:14 am

target wrote:take whatever the first judicial extern/intern offer you receive since you shouldn't renege judge's offer anyway (my CSO hammers this point to all 1Ls looking for judicial extern). Within fed courts or state courts, the higher level of course is better than the lower level. Fed judge sounds more impressive than state judge unless you compare a fed district judge and state supreme (whatever your state calls the highest state court) court judge. Intern for specialized judges should help you if you are especially interested in that specialized area. For OCI purpose, generally firms don't care which judge you interned for.

Thanks.

Return to “Legal Employment”