2L Summer Split between Big Law and volunteer/unpaid DOJ?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L Summer Split between Big Law and volunteer/unpaid DOJ?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:53 pm

Any thoughts on splitting between BigLaw and a volunteer (non-SLIP) DOJ position for 2L summer? It seems like a worthwhile opportunity to get a broader experience and develop connections should I want to try to work at DOJ in the future, but I am concerned that for a future application, I will just appear as a SLIP reject. Thoughts?

sunynp

Re: 2L Summer Split between Big Law and volunteer/unpaid DOJ?

Postby sunynp » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:16 pm

I think that biglaw is going to questions your commitment to the biglaw life.

LawIdiot86

Re: 2L Summer Split between Big Law and volunteer/unpaid DOJ?

Postby LawIdiot86 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts on splitting between BigLaw and a volunteer (non-SLIP) DOJ position for 2L summer? It seems like a worthwhile opportunity to get a broader experience and develop connections should I want to try to work at DOJ in the future, but I am concerned that for a future application, I will just appear as a SLIP reject. Thoughts?

People may question your biglaw dedication and the odds of getting hired at DOJ are vanishingly slim. Do a full biglaw summer and then spend a semester internship at DOJ. I know Pitt and Duke have programs in DC.

Return to “Legal Employment”