Summer Housing in NYC Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
acore8604

New

Summer Housing in NYC

Post by acore8604 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:01 am

Hey,

I'm about to put a deposit down on a place called the Cooper Union. It's cheap, furnished, in the Village. I just wanted to know if anyone knows anything about it so I don't find there's a huge catch later. Thx!

A Swift

Bronze

Re: Summer Housing in NYC

Post by A Swift » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:06 am

Can you tell me more? Address/Link and I will ask around for you.

acore8604

New

Post by acore8604 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:18 am

A Swift wrote:Can you tell me more? Address/Link and I will ask around for you.
http://cooper.edu/students/housing/summer-housing

I found the brochure on a bulletin board by career services. My concern is they don't show pictures of the actual apt online. I know its a single, furnished, with laundry (it's essentially a college dorm suite I share with another guy in a adjoining bedroom). All residents are either MBA or JD summer associates. It breaks down to about 1200k a month so it can't suck that much right??

rockthecliffsbah

New

Post by rockthecliffsbah » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:34 pm

Great location. Right by all the bars in the east village, and close to the 6,n,r trains and union square (where you can get just about every other train). Don't know about the apartments.

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:43 pm

I'd also like to know more about this place if anyone has anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:25 pm

Cooper Union is in a pretty good location, although I don't know anyone who lived there myself. I lived very near Cooper Union in a different school's dorm last summer - the School for Visual Arts' "10th Street" dorm (--LinkRemoved--). Both of these dorms are on 3rd Avenue, just a couple blocks from St Marks Street (restaurants and all that cool stuff) and the NQR/46 lines (solid for midtown east and west).

As for the SVA place, I'd generally recommend it to people looking for NYC housing. It was actually pretty nice and in surprisingly decent/clean condition (I'd never lived in NYC, so I didn't really know what to expect) - I think it was probably nicer than the NYU law dorms I remember touring during my ASW a few years ago, which I remember thinking had something of a worn-in feel to them. My 1BR had a mini kitchen (stove top, dishwasher(!), microwave), a small living room nook with a futon-esque couch (no tv, but you can bring one), comfortably sized bathroom, and a fairly spacious bedroom (including A/C in both the bedroom and main room). The only downside was that the furniture in the dorm was (believe it or not) pretty dorm-ish and not crazy fancy or anything. Not a big deal at all to me, but thought I'd mention that since some people have the weirdest expectations.

If you can deal with that, it's not a bad option to look into. The location is really fantastic.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:31 pm

Cooper Union is a really highly regarded school, so I wouldn't be any more concerned about it than if you were renting from NYU or something. It will probably be small and pretty bare bones, but you won't get scammed or anything. And yeah, one of the better locations in Manhattan for someone in their 20s to spend a couple of months. You certainly won't go thirsty.

acore8604

New

Post by acore8604 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:33 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Cooper Union is a really highly regarded school, so I wouldn't be any more concerned about it than if you were renting from NYU or something. It will probably be small and pretty bare bones, but you won't get scammed or anything. And yeah, one of the better locations in Manhattan for someone in their 20s to spend a couple of months. You certainly won't go thirsty.
Thx! that's all I really needed to know

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”