Ok... I know I'm starting late, but some things fell through Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Ok... I know I'm starting late, but some things fell through

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:04 pm

I am t-25% at T40 school in SE and I am just now really getting into the job search. I know I am REALLY late, but I had some options that I thought were locked so I wasn't too worried. Those "locks" just fell through so I'm screwed. I'm having a minor freak out about not having a job for the summer, so I need a little help. I know I missed the firm jobs barring an OCI miracle, but what about medium/ smaller firms, PI, Gov? I guess my main question is... am I actually screwed or do I have options? Thanks for the help

bk1

Diamond

Re: Ok... I know I'm starting late, but some things fell through

Post by bk1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:08 pm

Apply everywhere. Plenty of places are still hiring. You can also beg profs to let you RA for them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:42 pm

your options are more limited but there's still plenty of stuff out there. i split my summer between a gov office and a midsize firm. i applied to both in early february. spend the coming weekend on getting your apps out. you'll land something.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:51 pm

Not OP, but in the same boat. To the two of you saying there are still plenty of places hiring, does that go for major markets like NYC or am I more or less screwed if I want to remain here?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not OP, but in the same boat. To the two of you saying there are still plenty of places hiring, does that go for major markets like NYC or am I more or less screwed if I want to remain here?
I would assume it applies to NYC though I don't know that for sure. I've gotten a lot of my interview requests just in the past 2 weeks even though I applied almost a month ago (or more) to most places.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Younger Abstention

Bronze

Post by Younger Abstention » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:34 am

Last edited by Younger Abstention on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:30 pm

i'm in the same position; i'm thinking i'm pretty screwed.

i sent apps out, but i only applied to competitive/paid listings, large firms, and competitive public interest jobs.

i haven't really heard back for two weeks, so i'm probably out and am back at square one.

any legal job will do for me at this point.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:03 pm

I applied for the job I got last year in mid-February and got it in March. Don't panic yet, you've still got time.

You are a 1L right?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:11 pm

romothesavior wrote:I applied for the job I got last year in mid-February and got it in March. Don't panic yet, you've still got time.

You are a 1L right?
A lot of cool corporate legal department jobs don't even start looking until march.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:19 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I applied for the job I got last year in mid-February and got it in March. Don't panic yet, you've still got time.

You are a 1L right?
A lot of cool corporate legal department jobs don't even start looking until march.
Do you know where to find these gigs? Ive been googling fortune 500 companies, but most don't seem to have legal internships listed on their website; I've found 2 so far. I asked my CSO and they told me to wait until companies post on Symplicity, but that seems like a risky strategy.

Metaread

Bronze

Post by Metaread » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:20 pm

Examples of of cool corporate legal department jobs that don't start looking until March, please. Would be interested in applying.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:52 pm

Metaread wrote:Examples of of cool corporate legal department jobs that don't start looking until March, please. Would be interested in applying.
yeah. that sounds ideal to me. :)

i actually talked to the head of my school's career office and she said most small/mid-size firms and companies don't even start looking to hire until late february to march, but i'm still nervous about not finding anything so far.

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Post by lawschoolftw » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:57 pm

chill out guys, your 1L summer is so insignificant. I can understand the stress because I was there last year too. This time next year you'll realize how crazy you were for stressing about 1L summer. There are plenty of legal things to do out there, and as long as you do something legal, you'll be fine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:58 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

You are a 1L right?
Do you know where to find these gigs? Ive been googling fortune 500 companies, but most don't seem to have legal internships listed on their website; I've found 2 so far. I asked my CSO and they told me to wait until companies post on Symplicity, but that seems like a risky strategy.
It is a little risky, because the simplicity postings were how I saw them all. I took some BS RA gig in late feb. because I panicked and then two weeks later there were a ton of cool stuff on simplicity. I might not have gotten one, but I would have loved the chance.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:28 am

Desert Fox wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

You are a 1L right?
It is a little risky, because the simplicity postings were how I saw them all. I took some BS RA gig in late feb. because I panicked and then two weeks later there were a ton of cool stuff on simplicity. I might not have gotten one, but I would have loved the chance.
Those simplicity postings are spammed to every law school Yale to TTTThomas Jefferson, don't beat yourself up.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:38 am

I applied to a secondary city public defender and was offered a spot literally without the dude even looking at my resume. (The central recruiting office emailed me saying they faxed it to someone but the machines were down so all this guy was going on was my email to him). That might not be ideal depending what you want to do but those kinds of places are cash strapped because of the economy and really could use volunteers.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:43 am

Cupidity wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Those simplicity postings are spammed to every law school Yale to TTTThomas Jefferson, don't beat yourself up.
People from NU seemed to actually get a lot of them. Doesn't matter, what you do 1L doesn't seem to matter.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”