Listing SA on resume right now?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Listing SA on resume right now?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:18 pm

I'm going to be applying for some volunteer positions and am unsure whether to list my upcoming summer associateship on my resume or not.

Thoughts? Etiquette?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Listing SA on resume right now?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:21 pm

I was told it was cool. Just don't provide anything other than name, dates, and location. Apparently some idiot wrote out stuff like, "performed research regarding..." and that didn't go over well.

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: Listing SA on resume right now?

Postby LawIdiot86 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was told it was cool. Just don't provide anything other than name, dates, and location. Apparently some idiot wrote out stuff like, "performed research regarding..." and that didn't go over well.


Yes, you can list it, but even if you have an idea of what you will be doing, it's a bit disingenuous to list it as you haven't acquired those skills yet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Listing SA on resume right now?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:50 pm

OP here:

I would hope it's obvious to assume I won't list responsibilities/experience for a job I haven't started, but who knows.

I was just unsure of whether it's appropriate to even list that I have the position although haven't started (its implication is that even being selected matters, which initially seems a bit gauche).

Thanks for the input.

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: Listing SA on resume right now?

Postby LawIdiot86 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here:

I would hope it's obvious to assume I won't list responsibilities/experience for a job I haven't started, but who knows.

I was just unsure of whether it's appropriate to even list that I have the position although haven't started (its implication is that even being selected matters, which initially seems a bit gauche).

Thanks for the input.


Being selected DOES matter. It means you have some combination of personality and grades that a peer in industry finds valuable enough to retain. That lets you immediately jump the line of people who have failed to make a similar professional impression and don't have that line on their resume.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Listing SA on resume right now?

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:04 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here:

I would hope it's obvious to assume I won't list responsibilities/experience for a job I haven't started, but who knows.

I was just unsure of whether it's appropriate to even list that I have the position although haven't started (its implication is that even being selected matters, which initially seems a bit gauche).

Thanks for the input.


Being selected DOES matter. It means you have some combination of personality and grades that a peer in industry finds valuable enough to retain. That lets you immediately jump the line of people who have failed to make a similar professional impression and don't have that line on their resume.


Agreed. Think of it as a recommendation. It can mean a lot to essentially say, "Look, a V5 / elite-boutique / whatever firm thought highly enough of me, after reviewing my grades and experience and putting me through multiple interviews, to give me their stamp of approval by offering me a summer associateship. The other candidate with similar grades and background didn't get a similar stamp of approval, even though he tried."




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.