DE Skadden or NYC v10 -- I'm having second thoughts.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Best Move?

Skadden -- DE
10
34%
v10 -- NYC
19
66%
 
Total votes: 29

Anonymous User
Posts: 273314
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

DE Skadden or NYC v10 -- I'm having second thoughts.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:28 pm

Having second thoughts about my firm selection. What's better: Skadden in DE or a v10 in NYC?

Obviously, I can't change my mind. But, what do you think is the better move (considering: prestige, exit options, etc.).

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: DE Skadden or NYC v10 -- I'm having second thoughts.

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:31 pm

Your question, "What's better?" is utterly worthless. You haven't told us what you want to do, where you want to do it, what you want to exit into, etc. This just seems like prestige whoring. Also, what's the point? your decision is made? Try again.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: DE Skadden or NYC v10 -- I'm having second thoughts.

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:36 pm

Grizz wrote:Your question, "What's better?" is utterly worthless. You haven't told us what you want to do, where you want to do it, what you want to exit into, etc. This just seems like prestige whoring. Also, what's the point? your decision is made? Try again.

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: DE Skadden or NYC v10 -- I'm having second thoughts.

Postby LawIdiot86 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:45 pm

If you want interesting work, prestige, and partnership potential, the generic V10 in NYC is best. If you want cost of living, collegiality, and job security, Skadden DE win.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273314
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DE Skadden or NYC v10 -- I'm having second thoughts.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:49 pm

This is a very difficult question and one that I struggled with mightily. To me, why would you want to go to a NYC v10, with the possibility of stress and overwork just for the prestige?

Likewise, why go to such a terrible place to work as Skadden DE, when you have the alternative of Paul Hastings ATL? Frankly, I believe that such a prestigious firm as Paul Hastings, coupled with the low hours and QOL of Atlanta would provide the perfect mix of what you are looking for OP.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: DE Skadden or NYC v10 -- I'm having second thoughts.

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:53 pm

double poast
Last edited by Grizz on Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: DE Skadden or NYC v10 -- I'm having second thoughts.

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is a very difficult question and one that I struggled with mightily. To me, why would you want to go to a NYC v10, with the possibility of stress and overwork just for the prestige?

Likewise, why go to such a terrible place to work as Skadden DE, when you have the alternative of Paul Hastings ATL? Frankly, I believe that such a prestigious firm as Paul Hastings, coupled with the low hours and QOL of Atlanta would provide the perfect mix of what you are looking for OP.

You gotta be trolling. Paul Hastings ATL is a miserable place to work
Last edited by Grizz on Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273314
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DE Skadden or NYC v10 -- I'm having second thoughts.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:55 pm

OP Here. I'm concerned with exit options. People like to characterize the decision as being either "interesting work" or quality of life. This seems like a silly way to base a decision on where to spend the next 3-5 years. I'm looking for the best firm/location to set myself up for a killer long-term career. Is Skadden's name recognition worth giving up for the opportunity to work at a firm's HQ and be in constant, intimate contact with the worlds biggest players in lots of different fields?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273314
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DE Skadden or NYC v10 -- I'm having second thoughts.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:58 pm

Grizz wrote:
Grizz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This is a very difficult question and one that I struggled with mightily. To me, why would you want to go to a NYC v10, with the possibility of stress and overwork just for the prestige?

Likewise, why go to such a terrible place to work as Skadden DE, when you have the alternative of Paul Hastings ATL? Frankly, I believe that such a prestigious firm as Paul Hastings, coupled with the low hours and QOL of Atlanta would provide the perfect mix of what you are looking for OP.

You gotta be trolling. Paul Hastings ATL is a miserable place to work


I 100% agree. If you are looking for a mixture of prestige w/ QOL, a firm like Chadbourne and Parke DC might be the perfect place for you.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: DE Skadden or NYC v10 -- I'm having second thoughts.

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP Here. I'm concerned with exit options. People like to characterize the decision as being either "interesting work" or quality of life. This seems like a silly way to base a decision on where to spend the next 3-5 years. I'm looking for the best firm/location to set myself up for a killer long-term career. Is Skadden's name recognition worth giving up for the opportunity to work at a firm's HQ and be in constant, intimate contact with the worlds biggest players in lots of different fields?

Big Shrimpin wrote:
Grizz wrote:Your question, "What's better?" is utterly worthless. You haven't told us what you want to do, where you want to do it, what you want to exit into, etc. This just seems like prestige whoring. Also, what's the point? your decision is made? Try again.

User avatar
Wholigan
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: DE Skadden or NYC v10 -- I'm having second thoughts.

Postby Wholigan » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is a very difficult question and one that I struggled with mightily. To me, why would you want to go to a NYC v10, with the possibility of stress and overwork just for the prestige?

Likewise, why go to such a terrible place to work as Skadden DE, when you have the alternative of Paul Hastings ATL? Frankly, I believe that such a prestigious firm as Paul Hastings, coupled with the low hours and QOL of Atlanta would provide the perfect mix of what you are looking for OP.


Wut? Where did OP say PH was even an option?

Skadden DE is going to work you plenty hard. There is not a greater possibility of "stress and overwork" in NY. Now for pure compensation, Skadden DE is one of the best choices out there. They pay $160k where market is $145k and COL is lower than any market that pays $160.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: DE Skadden or NYC v10 -- I'm having second thoughts.

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Wholigan wrote:Wut? Where did OP say PH was even an option?

Technically, neither of these is an option, because OP has already made his decision. OP is having preftife buyer's remorse.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273314
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DE Skadden or NYC v10 -- I'm having second thoughts.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:25 pm

Grizz wrote:
Wholigan wrote:Wut? Where did OP say PH was even an option?

Technically, neither of these is an option, because OP has already made his decision. OP is having preftife buyer's remorse.



U mad?


-OP

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: DE Skadden or NYC v10 -- I'm having second thoughts.

Postby LawIdiot86 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:46 pm

Wholigan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This is a very difficult question and one that I struggled with mightily. To me, why would you want to go to a NYC v10, with the possibility of stress and overwork just for the prestige?

Likewise, why go to such a terrible place to work as Skadden DE, when you have the alternative of Paul Hastings ATL? Frankly, I believe that such a prestigious firm as Paul Hastings, coupled with the low hours and QOL of Atlanta would provide the perfect mix of what you are looking for OP.


Wut? Where did OP say PH was even an option?

Skadden DE is going to work you plenty hard. There is not a greater possibility of "stress and overwork" in NY. Now for pure compensation, Skadden DE is one of the best choices out there. They pay $160k where market is $145k and COL is lower than any market that pays $160.


Yeah, 160 in Wilmington is worth something like 220 in NYC. If you can take being shut out of the most interesting deals or having contact with the most influential partners, it's fine. Also, as far as exit options go, V10 in NYC will beat Skadden's name rec once they see it was Skadden DE. Don't forget that a DE license isn't portable to other states. And saying that Skadden's name rep is so far superior to places like STB or Cleary or DPW as to be THE deciding factor is pretty stupid.

User avatar
koalatriste
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: DE Skadden or NYC v10 -- I'm having second thoughts.

Postby koalatriste » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:24 pm

i didn't read all of the above posts, but assuming the timing of this thread, you're likely a 1L who just decided on his/her SA in which case, no worries whatsoever. If you're a 2L, with large firms like these, it's always possible to change offices within the firm after receiving a summer offer (doesn't happen THAT much - and this is only possible if you're at Skadden DE, obviously), clerk then change offices/firms, change firms in 3L OCI, drop out of law school entirely, etc.

Give it a summer, see if you still doubt your decision after that. If so, it's not the end of the world (regardless of your class year).

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: DE Skadden or NYC v10 -- I'm having second thoughts.

Postby IAFG » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:22 pm

Exit options... into what? If you want to be in Wilmington, Skadden DE is perfect. If your plan was to exit to NYC in-house, or a smaller firm in a major market, V10 was probably the right call.

Also, I suspect troll.

edit to correct for misunderstanding

Anonymous User
Posts: 273314
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DE Skadden or NYC v10 -- I'm having second thoughts.

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:20 am

I haven't posted on here in forever, but this thread oddly came up in a news alert and I wanted to chime in to tell you to chill out and be happy with your choice. Yes, large NYC firms will give you plenty of exit options. Skadden DE should allow you plenty of opportunities too, though. I think the bigger choice is where you want to live -- if you're happy living in Wilmington/Philly (and the cost of living advantage over NYC is admittedly pretty major), it seems like a good office to be in. I don't think you'll get less interesting work simply because you are in the Wilmington office rather than the NYC office. (This obviously assumes that you have some interest in Delaware corporate law, or that you are willing to develop that interest). It's not like the New York offices of these firms are the only ones with important people and business -- Skadden DE takes the lead on some cases, etc. too, and many of those who don't stay go on to do interesting things (e.g. the Chancellor of the DE Chancery Court started at Skadden Wilmington).

That said, I'm not really convinced that the workload varies that much between offices of large firms. At the moment, I know people at large NYC firms who work nonstop and people whose hours are not bad at all, depending on their practice groups (how busy the groups are, how the groups are staffed, etc). This, of course, goes back and forth. I wouldn't count on easy hours because you are in DE, though -- there will be times when you will be just as swamped as the people in NYC and elsewhere who you are working with. But, again, it varies, so don't worry about it. Being in a small office definitely provides a different office culture, which you might like. As someone mentioned, if you really find that the office is a bad fit, you can always see if the firm can find a place for you in NYC.

[Disclaimer: I work at Skadden NYC. Apologies if there was excessive Skadden trolling in this response.]

User avatar
koalatriste
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: DE Skadden or NYC v10 -- I'm having second thoughts.

Postby koalatriste » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I haven't posted on here in forever, but this thread oddly came up in a news alert and I wanted to chime in to tell you to chill out and be happy with your choice. Yes, large NYC firms will give you plenty of exit options. Skadden DE should allow you plenty of opportunities too, though. I think the bigger choice is where you want to live -- if you're happy living in Wilmington/Philly (and the cost of living advantage over NYC is admittedly pretty major), it seems like a good office to be in. I don't think you'll get less interesting work simply because you are in the Wilmington office rather than the NYC office. (This obviously assumes that you have some interest in Delaware corporate law, or that you are willing to develop that interest). It's not like the New York offices of these firms are the only ones with important people and business -- Skadden DE takes the lead on some cases, etc. too, and many of those who don't stay go on to do interesting things (e.g. the Chancellor of the DE Chancery Court started at Skadden Wilmington).

That said, I'm not really convinced that the workload varies that much between offices of large firms. At the moment, I know people at large NYC firms who work nonstop and people whose hours are not bad at all, depending on their practice groups (how busy the groups are, how the groups are staffed, etc). This, of course, goes back and forth. I wouldn't count on easy hours because you are in DE, though -- there will be times when you will be just as swamped as the people in NYC and elsewhere who you are working with. But, again, it varies, so don't worry about it. Being in a small office definitely provides a different office culture, which you might like. As someone mentioned, if you really find that the office is a bad fit, you can always see if the firm can find a place for you in NYC.

[Disclaimer: I work at Skadden NYC. Apologies if there was excessive Skadden trolling in this response.]


Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:20 am

Anonymous User
Posts: 273314
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DE Skadden or NYC v10 -- I'm having second thoughts.

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:12 pm

I agree with the Skadden post 100%. Honestly, Skadden and any other V10 will feel similar once you start doing the work, so you really have to ask yourself whether you like NYC or DE more. I go to school in NYC but in my opinion it's a terrible place to live and start a family (plz no flame- it's my opinion), so if it were me I would go for Wilmington where $160k will buy you a nice life.

If you are thinking of leaving biglaw in 5 years to go in house, your resume will say Skadden. Very few employers will care if it was Skadden DE or Skadden NYC, since by then you will be interviewing based on your skills and experiences and the name will just get you in the door.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: DE Skadden or NYC v10 -- I'm having second thoughts.

Postby 20130312 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:35 pm

koalatriste wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:[Disclaimer: I work at Skadden NYC.]


Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:20 am


Anonymous User wrote:hours are not bad at all
hours are not bad at all
hours are not bad at all

johndhi
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:25 am

Re: DE Skadden or NYC v10 -- I'm having second thoughts.

Postby johndhi » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:45 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
koalatriste wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:[Disclaimer: I work at Skadden NYC.]


Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:20 am


Anonymous User wrote:hours are not bad at all
hours are not bad at all
hours are not bad at all



Well done sir.
Also, OP: don't f with Grizz, he's the man around here.

Don't be a TLSer and care about what guys on the Internet think about where you work. Think about it for yourself. Both cities have single girls, bars, food and car dealerships. Do what you want where you want to.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273314
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DE Skadden or NYC v10 -- I'm having second thoughts.

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:34 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
koalatriste wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:[Disclaimer: I work at Skadden NYC.]


Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:20 am


Anonymous User wrote:hours are not bad at all
hours are not bad at all
hours are not bad at all


hahahaha nice. I was not posting from work -- I'm a night owl and was up catching up on my DVR. Not a good thing to do at 3am on a Tuesday. But, I'm obviously not going to deny that there are people here and at similar firms who have had to work at 3am. I'm lucky to have been spared so far, but I'm sure that time will come. The "hours are not bad at all" was said in context -- sometimes they are not bad at all, and I also said that there are people who work nonstop. This is not news for NYC biglaw (and, seemingly, non-NYC biglaw). To the OP, though, I was just trying to point out that there's not that much difference, or at least not enough to worry about it rather than enjoy law school.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.