PI --> Firm after COA Clerkship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

PI --> Firm after COA Clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:31 pm

I am Top 5% (probably, but Top 10% at the very least) at a T14 with a federal COA clerkship lined up for next year in a major city (not 2/9/DC circuits). For both 1L and 2L summers, I have worked at public interest organizations (my resume screams public interest). I had never even considered working at a firm until recently.

Largely for reasons of locational flexibility and a change of my work interests, I am interested in working at a firm after my clerkship. I have plenty of appellate and general litigation work under my belt, even before the clerkship, and I would prefer to do appellate or white collar work (though general litigation would be great as well). What are my chances at moving to a V100 firm after my clerkship? Any tips on convincing firms that I am truly interested in firm work?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tanicius

Re: PI --> Firm after COA Clerkship

Postby Tanicius » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:36 pm

I mean, be honest. If you really want to work for a firm because of "locational flexibility and a change of my work interests," just focus on fleshing these out. Why do you need/want location flexibility? What are your new work interests? Just be thorough and sincere.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:12 pm

Another way to phrase your question is, would firms punish a COA clerk for taking a second year summer job in PI? I can't imagine the answer to that is yes.

COA clerk = hot commodity; unless there's some invisible phenomenon I haven't heard of, you'll probably be receiving offers from firms before you even contact them yourself.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:33 pm

johndhi wrote:Another way to phrase your question is, would firms punish a COA clerk for taking a second year summer job in PI? I can't imagine the answer to that is yes.

COA clerk = hot commodity; unless there's some invisible phenomenon I haven't heard of, you'll probably be receiving offers from firms before you even contact them yourself.

OP here. Thanks for your answers. Yes, that is essentially the question. Basically, it's balancing the strength of a COA clerkship against the lack of law firm experience and a big public interest bent. If it does not rule out firms in general, what about Big Law? In a major market?

Has anyone been in this situation or known someone in this situation? Curious as to how it turned out.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:46 pm

johndhi wrote:Another way to phrase your question is, would firms punish a COA clerk for taking a second year summer job in PI? I can't imagine the answer to that is yes.

I could imagine the OP looks like a flight risk. Bank 2-3 years of six figs and then take off into the sunset. So I think it will hurt. But OP still has top 5% from a T14, and a COA clerkship. She'll probably be able to land a good firm anyway.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:51 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

I could imagine the OP looks like a flight risk. Bank 2-3 years of six figs and then take off into the sunset. So I think it will hurt. But OP still has top 5% from a T14, and a COA clerkship. She'll probably be able to land a good firm anyway.

Having spent the past couple months talking with recruiting staff about their fears, I think they are more willing to believe that law students are seduced over to the dark side than you suppose.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:57 pm

IAFG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Having spent the past couple months talking with recruiting staff about their fears, I think they are more willing to believe that law students are seduced over to the dark side than you suppose.

If firms are worried about geographic ties in re: people staying, I think someone not doing a 2L SA could definitely be an issue. That said, I'm it really depends on how they sell it. Appellate and white collar only still sounds bullshitty to me.

Return to “Legal Employment”