References. 1L

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

References. 1L

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:23 pm

How important are references? I'm a 1L applying to public interest jobs (DAs, probation, police departments).

Unfortunately I have no professor references, just 2 reference names (no letters) from past jobs (not law related). Is this going to screw me?

cinephile

Re: References. 1L

Postby cinephile » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:35 pm

I'm just a 1L too, so I wouldn't know how important they are. But I do know my writing instructor told us that her phone's been ringing off the hook since we all gave her as a reference. So, they definitely are calling her.

Is it possible to give someone who knows you a bit better, like a writing instructor, as a reference?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:44 pm

I never really went to my writing instructors office hours last semester (I know stupid) but she is nice and would probably give me a reference. The problem is I have a career fair that I am attending tomorrow.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:47 pm

So email her today and ask if it's okay to list her as a reference. She's uniquely able to speak to your writing abilities, so even though you never went to her office hours, it doesn't matter.

adonai

Postby adonai » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:39 pm

I did not use professorial references and it worked out fine for me. Unless specified, I do not think it would matter much, esp. for a 1L job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:45 pm

cinephile wrote:So email her today and ask if it's okay to list her as a reference. She's uniquely able to speak to your writing abilities, so even though you never went to her office hours, it doesn't matter.

I got one of the lowest marks in the class.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
cinephile wrote:So email her today and ask if it's okay to list her as a reference. She's uniquely able to speak to your writing abilities, so even though you never went to her office hours, it doesn't matter.

I got one of the lowest marks in the class.

:(

Well, maybe you'll make a miraculous improvement this semester and can list her or another professor when applying this summer/fall.

Return to “Legal Employment”