sending grades after release; explain why bad?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TheFutureLawyer

sending grades after release; explain why bad?

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:20 am

So, I sent off some of my applications before grades came in. I figured that it'd get me a few more interviews at least. But if they ask me to send in my transcripts when they are available, should I also send along a letter saying that these grades are not reflective of my true ability, or anything like that?

I'm sure I have to send along some kind of letter at least saying, "this is XXXX, I sent my app to you and you requested my grades when they became available, here they are." So it seems like it makes sense to say something about the bad grades.

Thanks

kalvano

Re: sending grades after release; explain why bad?

Postby kalvano » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:47 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:should I also send along a letter saying that these grades are not reflective of my true ability?

Based on what? Were you being mauled by a wolverine while you took the exam?

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:55 am

kalvano wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:should I also send along a letter saying that these grades are not reflective of my true ability?

nothing like that. so, just send the transcript with a short letter saying "thank you for your consideration"? No mention of grades at all?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:19 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
kalvano wrote:

nothing like that. so, just send the transcript with a short letter saying "thank you for your consideration"? No mention of grades at all?

Unless you have some legitimate excuse like "I went to the hospital for *insert something with sudden & severe onset* in the middle of my Torts exam, but my law school requires you finish on the same day if you've already started the exam, so I didn't get to finish" to excuse some oddball grade like a C in Torts with As elsewhere, you don't really have any grounds to claim the grades are not reflective of your true ability on a law exam.

Just do the standard "Please find attached my fall semester transcript. Thank you for your consideration!"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:19 pm

don't attach a letter AT ALL. If your grades are bad. ASK THEM TO REQUEST YOUR TRANSCRIPT. That way you get more looks.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:don't attach a letter AT ALL. If your grades are bad. ASK THEM TO REQUEST YOUR TRANSCRIPT. That way you get more looks.

read the op before you give an answer, this is exactly what I did.

Anyway, thanks to everyone else, I went with this:
acrossthelake wrote:Just do the standard "Please find attached my fall semester transcript. Thank you for your consideration!"

Return to “Legal Employment”