2L anxiety

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L anxiety

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:34 am

Hey guys,
This may sound slightly insane, but I was just wondering if I'm the only one who still has a lot of anxiety as a 2L. I have a firm job lined up for the summer; however, I honestly believe obtaining the position has made me even MORE anxious because I am terrified of making a wrong move and not getting a permanent offer. Are you guys still experiencing grade anxiety second half of 2L? Maybe I'm just being ridiculous.

dusk2k2

Re: 2L anxiety

Postby dusk2k2 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:58 am

Yes you are being ridiculous. Chill out. You've won at law school. Firms put a lot of money on you and they aren't going to no offer you for a little dip. Study a little bit, take the tests, and move on. Just do good work in the summer.

truevines

Postby truevines » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys,
This may sound slightly insane, but I was just wondering if I'm the only one who still has a lot of anxiety as a 2L. I have a firm job lined up for the summer; however, I honestly believe obtaining the position has made me even MORE anxious because I am terrified of making a wrong move and not getting a permanent offer. Are you guys still experiencing grade anxiety second half of 2L? Maybe I'm just being ridiculous.

You will be fine. Go to classes, get readings done. Maintain your grades with reasonable efforts.

During the summer, smile at every single soul you meet at the firm; turn in memos on time; smile at social events;
order what others order, drink what others drink, be yourself, don't be competitve or douche, don't be a law student.

Then, you will be fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:53 pm

OP: I'm with you on this. I have a 2L SA at a V5 and my grades improved in the first semester of 2L, and yet I'm still petrified. If Latham taught us anything it's that you can't feel truly secure until you actually start work that first day (and even then you can still get axed right quick).

That said, I'm also sure we're being ridiculous.

This sucks.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:07 pm

I think this is just the anxiety of adult life in a modern economy. We'll be working our whole careers under the shadow of layoffs, offshoring, technology rendering obsolete our skills, etc. Every step along the way (getting a SA position, getting a permanent offer, passing the bar, starting permanently, getting out of debt) should ameliorate the nervousness a bit, but it won't ever subside completely as long as you need to continue to work for a living.

cantabaout

Postby cantabaout » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:39 pm

unless you are a trust fund kid/adult.....
you live in fear
and then you die.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:52 pm

Yup. You should know by now whether your grades stayed the same or went up. If they did, there's really nothing much you can do except try not to worry---it's out of your hands until the summer. We're all more susceptible to hypertension and heart problems as lawyers, so try to keep it cool at least while you're still in school. Go for a run.

Return to “Legal Employment”