Weil 1L Summer Associate Callbacks Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
itbdvorm

Gold

Re: Weil 1L Summer Associate Callbacks

Post by itbdvorm » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Disagree.

Passing on lunch was not the reason you did not receive an SA. Attending lunch is not make or break and I have serious doubts that CB lunches provide overwhelming upside to your chances of landing an offer. (Glowing review from a 1st year has little weight and a bad review can potentially sink you.) That said, if you were awkward about declining the lunch…

EDIT: I'm second guessing myself. Though not attending lunch might not sink all candidates, maybe it plays a bigger role for borderline candidates. itbdvorm, care to weigh in more thoroughly?
it's a weird thing to do unless there's a good reason for it. shows a lack of interest in the firm (especially bizarre for 1L summer). why would a firm commit to you when you're not willing to spend an extra 120 minutes having a delicious meal on them? fit, etc.

and those first year reviews can and will sink candidates or make candidates, depending on performances.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:18 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Disagree.

Passing on lunch was not the reason you did not receive an SA. Attending lunch is not make or break and I have serious doubts that CB lunches provide overwhelming upside to your chances of landing an offer. (Glowing review from a 1st year has little weight and a bad review can potentially sink you.) That said, if you were awkward about declining the lunch…

EDIT: I'm second guessing myself. Though not attending lunch might not sink all candidates, maybe it plays a bigger role for borderline candidates. itbdvorm, care to weigh in more thoroughly?
it's a weird thing to do unless there's a good reason for it. shows a lack of interest in the firm (especially bizarre for 1L summer). why would a firm commit to you when you're not willing to spend an extra 120 minutes having a delicious meal on them? fit, etc.

and those first year reviews can and will sink candidates or make candidates, depending on performances.
I'm going to second this.

Anecdotally, I summered with a NY firm this year and became pretty good friends with the recruiting team (as tends to happen). I had one less-than-stellar grade that stood out on my transcript, and one night when we were out drinking my friend in recruiting mentioned that it actually was a really big concern for the recruiting team the previous fall. It turns out one of the junior associates who I developed a really good connection with at this lunch (and who had already become very well-respected within the firm, even as a junior associate) had written an incredibly positive review and really went to bat for me before the committee. Pretty sure I would not have received the offer if it weren't for this junior to push me over the edge into the "offer" pile.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:An outlier, or not? Four (that I know of) from my class interviewed. Turns out that three of us passed on the chance for lunch. The person who accepted their lunch invitation received an SA. I am now second-guessing passing up lunch. Perhaps the decision to pass on lunch was a viewed as rudness, shyness or something worse. Am I overthinking this? Any thoughts?

PS – Note, lunch would have added another 90 minutes to interviews that were already pushing two hours. Why that seemed like a big deal then is now humiliating.
No. A grinding dog fight to land one of the most coveted SA positions and you botched it b/c you didn't want to spend another 90min? Wow. Kudos to the person that stayed and nailed that position. A lesson learned for the rest of you.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:41 am

Are you kidding me? One of the top firms in the country wants to take you out for lunch and you don't go? You might as well have printed out a sign in bold capital letters saying "I'm not interested. Stop wasting my valuable time."

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Weil is my dream law firm. Everyone there is awesome.
lol whoa there cowboy. plenty of better options out there. no need, ever, in your career to refer to any firm as your "dream" firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:An outlier, or not? Four (that I know of) from my class interviewed. Turns out that three of us passed on the chance for lunch. The person who accepted their lunch invitation received an SA. I am now second-guessing passing up lunch. Perhaps the decision to pass on lunch was a viewed as rudness, shyness or something worse. Am I overthinking this? Any thoughts?

PS – Note, lunch would have added another 90 minutes to interviews that were already pushing two hours. Why that seemed like a big deal then is now humiliating.
I totally understand you, bro. The prospect of getting a free meal and having to act like a normal person for another 90 minutes is probably every TLSer's worst nightmare.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:01 pm

Went to lunch. Didn't get offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Went to lunch. Didn't get offer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necessity_and_sufficiency

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:29 pm

I doubt if anyone is suggesting that accepting a lunch invitation will secure an offer, but turning down a firm lunch is hard impossible to fathom.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:29 pm

Any updates?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:01 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
lol whoa there cowboy. plenty of better options out there. no need, ever, in your career to refer to any firm as your "dream" firm.
Don't listen to this guy. Nothing wrong with calling a place your dream firm, especially one of the top firms in the country. Just prepare to be let down if it doesn't work out.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:36 am

Don't listen to this guy. Nothing wrong with calling a place your dream firm, especially one of the top firms in the country. Just prepare to be let down if it doesn't work out.
Yes, there is everything wrong with it. No one should dream to work at a firm. But let me know how that "dream" works out for you in a couple months of working.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
I got an offer from them for a 1L SA. Weil's quality-of-life is really high, which is why I think it's fair to refer to them as my dream firm. They aren't known for being a sweatshop, unlike almost every one of the other top firms.

Also going out to lunch with them which was the best part! Why would anyone pass that up?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:35 pm

They aren't known for being a sweatshop, unlike almost every one of the other top firms.
I almost collapsed from laughter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:55 pm

Just thought I would bump this to see if anyone who didn't get an offer for 1L summer, but had a pre-OCI callback had heard anything post-callback

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:10 pm

So much misinformation in this thread.

Weil is a sweatshop.

Not taking a lunch doesn't hurt your chances (at least not enough to make fun of people about not taking their lunches).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:45 pm

Bump

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just thought I would bump this to see if anyone who didn't get an offer for 1L summer, but had a pre-OCI callback had heard anything post-callback
Yes. I know someone who got an offer pre-OCI from Weil.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”