Weil 1L Summer Associate Callbacks

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Weil 1L Summer Associate Callbacks

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:22 pm

Has anyone else attended a Callback at Weil Gotshal & Manges in NYC? Any idea how many 1Ls they plan to hire and when they are making decisions? I heard that they had about 1 position for many of the T-14 schools.

Anonymous User

Re: Weil 1L Summer Associate Callbacks

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:16 pm

I am curious about this too... I didn't ask about timing when I was there. I doubt that they have a spot for every T-14 school as I think their 2L SA class is no more than 50. I imagine they will hire 5 people at most, although it's unclear whether or not this includes the diversity 1L's too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:44 am

Bump - anyone hear back yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone else attended a Callback at Weil Gotshal & Manges in NYC? Any idea how many 1Ls they plan to hire and when they are making decisions? I heard that they had about 1 position for many of the T-14 schools.

Cannot speak for other schools, but I have heard they will be hiring exactly one 1L from Duke. They are coming down at the end of the month to have a reception and conduct interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:37 am

I heard from a friend who interviewed last year that they take awhile to get back to 1L's. My friend said I will probably have to wait until late February/early March...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:58 am

I did this last year. Interviewed in the first week of Feb and didn't hear back until first week of March.

They interviewed a ton of people at my school and only ended up hiring one person. So I wouldn't get my hopes up. I will say, however, that I (along with a bunch of other people that went on CBs) were invited to skip OCI screeners and go straight to final rounds (which occurred pre-OCI). The handful of people I spoke to that went through this ended up with offers (myself included).

Obviously, it's a different year and YMMV.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:38 pm

Yeah, Ive heard the same thing about one 1L from a school similar to Duke....a month is a long time to wait but guess its better than nothing. How was the skip OCI offer made? Any stipulations or anything for maintaining grades? Is it appropriate to call back after two weeks and express interest?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, Ive heard the same thing about one 1L from a school similar to Duke....a month is a long time to wait but guess its better than nothing. How was the skip OCI offer made? Any stipulations or anything for maintaining grades? Is it appropriate to call back after two weeks and express interest?

Edit: the offer to skip OCI was made via mail. I confused your question.

No stipulations and no mention generally about grades, but they asked for transcripts ahead of the (second) CB. I'm sure full-year academic performance was a consideration (my grades went up, so I may have had less to worry about).

They're busy, and they know you're interested; everyone wants a 1L SA. I'd refrain from emailing (don't call) until/unless you have an exploding offer from somewhere else.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:14 pm

heard they started making offers...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:heard they started making offers...

can you tell us a bit more? # offers/stats/school range/etc. thanks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:53 pm

yes, it's Sunday, but....bump

any news last week?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:50 pm

I know someone who accepted an offer there recently (I think it was mid week). Lower T14, no idea about grades. I'm pretty sure there was only one offer made at our school because I think I would have heard if other offers were made.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know someone who accepted an offer there recently (I think it was mid week). Lower T14, no idea about grades. I'm pretty sure there was only one offer made at our school because I think I would have heard if other offers were made.

Do you know how fast the turnaround was for this person? An above poster said that Weil gave notice very slowly at least for his/her reject letter, but I'm curious whether this is the same for offers.

Haven't heard from anyone at our school - Lower T14 as well. But the people here are fairly quiet about summer jobs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know someone who accepted an offer there recently (I think it was mid week). Lower T14, no idea about grades. I'm pretty sure there was only one offer made at our school because I think I would have heard if other offers were made.

Do you know how fast the turnaround was for this person? An above poster said that Weil gave notice very slowly at least for his/her reject letter, but I'm curious whether this is the same for offers.

Haven't heard from anyone at our school - Lower T14 as well. But the people here are fairly quiet about summer jobs.

Maybe a week, plus or minus a few days. Just guessing because people have also been fairly quiet about summer job stuff here too and some of my info is secondhand.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Maybe a week, plus or minus a few days. Just guessing because people have also been fairly quiet about summer job stuff here too and some of my info is secondhand.

Thanks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:48 am

Heard the offer at a lower T-14 was for a person below-median, some work experience but nothing standout...do with that why you may....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:02 pm

thanks for the heads up man/woman

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:19 pm

they're looking for personality. they want 1ls who will say good things about weil to their classmates when oci rolls around.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:13 pm

end-of-the-week bump. anyone?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone else attended a Callback at Weil Gotshal & Manges in NYC? Any idea how many 1Ls they plan to hire and when they are making decisions? I heard that they had about 1 position for many of the T-14 schools.

Cannot speak for other schools, but I have heard they will be hiring exactly one 1L from Duke. They are coming down at the end of the month to have a reception and conduct interviews.

Have they done the interviews at Duke yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:01 pm

An outlier, or not? Four (that I know of) from my class interviewed. Turns out that three of us passed on the chance for lunch. The person who accepted their lunch invitation received an SA. I am now second-guessing passing up lunch. Perhaps the decision to pass on lunch was a viewed as rudness, shyness or something worse. Am I overthinking this? Any thoughts?

PS – Note, lunch would have added another 90 minutes to interviews that were already pushing two hours. Why that seemed like a big deal then is now humiliating.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:An outlier, or not? Four (that I know of) from my class interviewed. Turns out that three of us passed on the chance for lunch. The person who accepted their lunch invitation received an SA. I am now second-guessing passing up lunch. Perhaps the decision to pass on lunch was a viewed as rudness, shyness or something worse. Am I overthinking this? Any thoughts?

PS – Note, lunch would have added another 90 minutes to interviews that were already pushing two hours. Why that seemed like a big deal then is now humiliating.

why the hell would you pass on lunch? don't do this in your 2L interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:An outlier, or not? Four (that I know of) from my class interviewed. Turns out that three of us passed on the chance for lunch. The person who accepted their lunch invitation received an SA. I am now second-guessing passing up lunch. Perhaps the decision to pass on lunch was a viewed as rudness, shyness or something worse. Am I overthinking this? Any thoughts?

LOL--wondering how you got an interview in the first place with this sort of thinking....I can guarantee the second you declined lunch you lost any chance at getting the SA over any person who accepted....How foolish!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:46 pm

Disagree.

Passing on lunch was not the reason you did not receive an SA. Attending lunch is not make or break and I have serious doubts that CB lunches provide overwhelming upside to your chances of landing an offer. (Glowing review from a 1st year has little weight and a bad review can potentially sink you.) That said, if you were awkward about declining the lunch…

EDIT: I'm second guessing myself. Though not attending lunch might not sink all candidates, maybe it plays a bigger role for borderline candidates. itbdvorm, care to weigh in more thoroughly?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:54 pm

Weil is my dream law firm. Everyone there is awesome.

Return to “Legal Employment”