What should I do? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
oxygen720

New

What should I do?

Post by oxygen720 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:07 pm

Tier 1 (Rank 50s) school, 3L, 3.0 GPA (literally, I got sick each year different ailments (diabetes, hypothyroidism, insomnia, blood clot), Focus on IP and Taxation, lots of clinical experience.
No job during 1L or 2L summer, I took science classes and law classes.
No job prospects.
I'm 2 credits short of qualifying for patent bar.

Two options:

(A) Take a science class this summer, take patent bar, take the Bar exam in February 2013.
(B) Take State Bar exam, look for a job and take science class, take Patent Bar exam in 2013.

What would you do?

EDIT:
Technical Background:
I have a B.A. in Poli Sci, I took 3 years of science courses in college for a Biology major. I have taken Chemistry (10 credits), Physics (8 credits), Biology (12 credits) (All for pre-med reqs), Organic Chem (8 credits)

I have 2 credits left to take, which I plan on taking a Computer Science course with lab. I have a lot of computer experience (I know how to program in Java and Ruby, I know how to use various server technologies and can do web design). I worked in a healthcare company helping to develop electronic medical recording software before law school.
Last edited by oxygen720 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Agent

Bronze

Re: What should I do?

Post by Agent » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:10 pm

More info re your technical background would be helpful.

oxygen720

New

Post by oxygen720 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:19 pm

edited to add more data.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:07 pm

So you have a 3.0 at a T50, a political science degree, and zero summer internship experience?

Outlook not good.

oxygen720

New

Post by oxygen720 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:25 pm

yap, its bad. I have clinical experience working with real clients (patent searches and trademark clearances) and I'm doing a judicial clerkship clinic (its basically a 4 month clerkship, pass/fail)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:46 pm

I would take the state bar this summer and, if you want, finish the science classes this fall while job searching.

Since you're so close I guess it's worth finishing up the patent bar qualifications at some point, but I wouldn't expect them to be a big difference-maker. Most firms and clients will simply not view you the same as they view someone with a science degree, rightly or wrongly.

The patent bar itself requires no science knowledge whatsoever and is largely a test of how well you can Ctrl-F the MPEP in Adobe under time pressure.

If you don't take the state bar with the rest of your graduating class, I think that will leave a significant question mark in people's minds as to what was going on during that gap in time. Better to get that out of the way then maybe pursue a state court clerkship or something. You do have some practical experience, which is good.

I think you're looking at hanging a shingle and maybe being able to position yourself as able to provide IP services to individual inventors (which most firms do not) or startups, etc. Malpractice will be a significant concern though and you'll have to be really, really careful. If you can find a mentor that knows the ropes that would be beneficial. Join your local IP bar and network thy ass off.

yuzu

Bronze

Post by yuzu » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:53 pm

Is it possible to take the science class while studying for/taking the state bar? Keep in mind that the grade won't really matter (C- or better qualifies) and it's only 2 credits.

Once you have taken the state bar and finished your course, taking the patent bar will not take much time - you will certainly have it done before state bar results come out. After that you should be able to focus on job search full time or try to set up a prosecution business.

Also, you may want to double-check with the OED that the class will make you eligible. The requirements are kind of complicated, especially for CS classes.

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:44 am

I agree with wiseowl, and I think yuzu makes good points.

Also, I think having a registration number helps with (1) networking and (2) the perception problem that you're likely to face in light of your lack of a science degree.

Note:
I believe a registration number helps with (2), despite wiseowl's (true) statement that "the patent bar itself requires no science knowledge," because:

While your technical background does not merit a degree, having a registration number will allow and perhaps prompt people to accept that you have enough of a technical background to sit for the exam. That's a large step ahead of most people holding a B.A. in Poli Sci.

A registration number looks fine on a business card; a list of your undergrad sciences courses does not. Then again, perhaps you feel that your work experience alone is visible enough to showcase your technical background (despite that it will leave people guessing re your patent bar eligibility, if they actually care about that).

Best of luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”