CU inflated curve, I'm buried.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lord Randolph McDuff

Re: CU inflated curve, I'm buried.

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:58 pm

The entire notion of GPA being compared across different schools is ridiculous. Solve it by putting class rank on everything and not GPA. What is an employer's 3.3 GPA minimum worth if CU can just raise their median anytime they want?

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:From the looks of it, it seems that a ton of us are irreconcylibly buried as we only have one more semester before OCI to bring our grades up, and OCI if your not in the top 1/3 looks to be pretty rough here. As in, I don't even think they really have one.

Yeah, 1L OCI effectively doesn't exist any longer at CU, no matter what your ranking is. Unless you can get a Pledge job, you're probably screwed. Start applying to random shit on CDOnline and talking to folks.

There's also no OCI bidding system or anything like that at CU (unless they radically changed stuff in the last semester), so the same group of like 15 folks basically interview for every single big-time OCI job all three years (and most of them don't end up with anything either). OCI apparently used to be a real option for most folks back in like 2005. It's really not any longer.

Hopefully the new career services office will revolutionize everything (it can hardly be any worse) and get you a job, but don't count on it and start hustling. Networking tip: CU students traditionally really suck at hustling (myself included). Become a student member of a couple bar associations to get on their email lists. Nobody from CU ever goes to any of the networking things outside the borders of Boulder itself. Take a drive to Denver and you will often be the only CU student in the place (which is usually full of a lot of CU grads who would love to talk with you).

Anonymous User wrote:Let me guess. That's the same year that reported a $100k+ median salary, right? If so, then the number isn't worth the paper it was printed on. It means that 10% of the people who responded to the CU CSO inquiries had AIII clerkships. And if CU is like many of the other non-elite schools, it tried really, really hard to track down grads known to be at big firms and clerkships. Not so much the rest.

They make you fill out a survey before you get to graduate. CU sucks at cooking the books (much to the chagrin of elements within the school that care about rankings).

sunynp wrote:So did it work? How many more jobs are we talking about?

Of course it didn't work; it's a fairly ridiculous idea that the only thing holding CU folks back was the fact that DU had a higher median.

On the grade thing, part of going to CU is that basically everyone gets about the same grade. There are not huge differences between, say, top 25% and roughly median (who knows what median actually is, what with there being no ranks outside the top third). Now that they've moved the median up and gotten rid of the wacky 100-point-scale gpa thing (your official gpa used to be something like 89.274 points and your official grade for each class was an actual percentage, not a letter), there's even less room for differentiation. Nobody generally moves very much in terms of their ranking. Best not to worry about.

-Pufer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:40 pm

if there is not much difference between top 25% and median, do employers care slightly less about grades from CU? One thing I'm noticing is that literally everyplace I've applied but one (OOS) was filled with CU grads. Maybe they know how grades work or are they radically different now?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:if there is not much difference between top 25% and median, do employers care slightly less about grades from CU? One thing I'm noticing is that literally everyplace I've applied but one (OOS) was filled with CU grads. Maybe they know how grades work or are they radically different now?

If you want to work in Colorado, CU gives you a good place to start from, but doing well in class isn't going to be your ticket. The truth (which you won't hear much on these boards, where meritocratic myth springs eternal) is that grades just don't matter for most things, whereas schmoozing, personal connections and good luck matter for everything.

Your grades are fine. Now go out and hustle.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:if there is not much difference between top 25% and median, do employers care slightly less about grades from CU? One thing I'm noticing is that literally everyplace I've applied but one (OOS) was filled with CU grads. Maybe they know how grades work or are they radically different now?

If you want to work in Colorado, CU gives you a good place to start from, but doing well in class isn't going to be your ticket. The truth (which you won't hear much on these boards, where meritocratic myth springs eternal) is that grades just don't matter for most things, whereas schmoozing, personal connections and good luck matter for everything.

Your grades are fine. Now go out and hustle.

Hope this is a troll

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:39 am

Nah. At least in Colorado, grades really only matter for a limited range of jobs (basically, firms that show up for OCI at CU and big-time clerkships, and I'd argue that law review probably matters more than grades do for the latter). Beyond that, the most recent anonymous poster is right on. In fact, I can't say it any better than he/she just did (and I am assuredly not trolling).

It's my opinion that the failure to really beat this into folks was the biggest failure of the former CU career services office, and I hope that the new office is doing better at this. The vast majority of each class will not be hired by their blindly sending in some application in response to some job application. Those employers look at grades because they have nothing else to look at. Once you realize that the first thing your probable future employer will see is your face and not your transcript, you start to go about things in a different manner.

-Pufer

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:43 am

Pufer wrote:wisdom

Pufer sighting!

Return to “Legal Employment”