House/Senate Judiciary Committee?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

House/Senate Judiciary Committee?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:44 pm

Is this a good job for a 1L to take? Does it look prestigious? Will it help 2L year? It is something I am very interested in.

romothesavior

Re: House/Senate Judiciary Committee?

Postby romothesavior » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:44 pm

What kind of work would you be doing? In general, as long as it is somehow legally-oriented and can be spun into a compelling summer experience, you'll be fine at OCI.

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:47 pm

Is the work legal in nature or at least appear to be? -> Yes. Ergo, it will be fine for 2L year OCI.

As for prestige level, knowing nothing about it, I'd expect it to be competitive to get and prestigious in nature. Whether it is "good to take," depends on pay and your other offers etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:52 pm

romothesavior wrote:What kind of work would you be doing? In general, as long as it is somehow legally-oriented and can be spun into a compelling summer experience, you'll be fine at OCI.

This is somewhat hypothetical, as I've only had an interview so far. It would be a "law clerk." It would be legal analysis, memos, monitoring what the SCOTUS is doing and what cases may come to term, anything the judiciary committee has jurisdiction over such as judge nominations, all federal criminal statutes are reviewed by judiciary committee I believe.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:What kind of work would you be doing? In general, as long as it is somehow legally-oriented and can be spun into a compelling summer experience, you'll be fine at OCI.

This is somewhat hypothetical, as I've only had an interview so far. It would be a "law clerk." It would be legal analysis, memos, monitoring what the SCOTUS is doing and what cases may come to term, anything the judiciary committee has jurisdiction over such as judge nominations, all federal criminal statutes are reviewed by judiciary committee I believe.

It is absolutely passable, and probably a pretty good internship for OCI purposes. Whether it is "prestigious" enough to give you a boost, I have no idea. 1L job boosts are very small at 2L OCI. You just need to be doing something legal and be able to spin it in an interview. I think the uniqueness of it is a cool thing, which might make it a nice conversation topic in interviews.

I think if you are interested in it, go for it. It definitely won't hold you back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:09 pm

It's an internship. You might do more a little more than the 19 year olds, but you'll still be fetching coffee. That said, it's a good talking point on your resume and I think you should look into it. I used to work on the Hill and I found that lawyers loved to bullshit about political gossip at OCI. Make it clear to them you need to come away with some good legal writing product, though I'm sure they will be accommodating.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:34 pm

All sounds like good advice. Just be careful if you have a political-heavy resume (federalist, college dem, local party organizations, etc) that you don't come across as too interested in political/lobbying work to a firm that doesn't have SAs in government affairs.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:04 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:All sounds like good advice. Just be careful if you have a political-heavy resume (federalist, college dem, local party organizations, etc) that you don't come across as too interested in political/lobbying work to a firm that doesn't have SAs in government affairs.

+1

Return to “Legal Employment”