Clerkship chances and importance of e-board for sec. Journal

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clerkship chances and importance of e-board for sec. Journal

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:03 pm

chance me on fed district court clerkships and maybe? COA clerkships. 3.83 at GW (5-10 percent) secondary journal, pretty generic recommendations (don't currently have strong relationships with many profs). Also this may be a fairly obv question but how important is it that I get on the eboard of my journal. I hate the thought of doing it but I guess it's prob that important?

Some other probbly irrelevant factors: spending this summer at a mid-size non market paying firm. I've had three different judicial internship at three different levels (local, state and federal dist court). Chance me please :)

madame defarge

Re: Clerkship chances and importance of e-board for sec. Journal

Postby madame defarge » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:32 am

As a former COA clerk who vetted applications, I valued great recommendations far more than an ed board position on a secondary journal. If I were you, I'd focus on getting more than just a generic recommendation (always the kiss of death in our chambers). Interact with your profs, be a research assistant, say something intelligent in class, etc. Maybe one of them will hook you up with a phone call/e-mail to a judge friend that will get your app pulled from the stack.

Also, use your judicial internships to your advantage. If you had a good relationship with your judges, they can help you with phone calls as well.

I think you have a good shot at a district court clerkship. COA is not looking good without law review and better recommendations.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:12 am

It's obviously not the most important thing. That said, the clerkship handbook at my school said that of those who landed clerkships that were not on law review, >90% held ed baord positions on a secondary journal. Obviously, there is a lot of self selection here, but why not play the game. Most secondary journal e-board positions are pretty slack.

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:43 pm

top 10% at GW is not looking good for COA. i think most COA judges demand law review (or law review credentials) from lower T14 schools, much less the T14's distant outer orbitals.

are you from a flyover state? local ties might help you get an "undesirable" district court.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:12 am

koalatriste wrote:top 10% at GW is not looking good for COA. i think most COA judges demand law review (or law review credentials) from lower T14 schools, much less the T14's distant outer orbitals.

are you from a flyover state? local ties might help you get an "undesirable" district court.

OP -- unfortunately no im from NY. Thoughts about state court clerkship chances?

Return to “Legal Employment”