SA'ing and Weekends Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Old Gregg

Platinum

Re: SA'ing and Weekends

Post by Old Gregg » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:21 pm

I would even take a couple of laps around the halls in the morning to get coffee, whatever, so that the early working people might at least see you are in.

*facepalm*

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:39 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
I would even take a couple of laps around the halls in the morning to get coffee, whatever, so that the early working people might at least see you are in.

*facepalm*
Whatever. I know it sounds silly but I ran into a couple of department heads that way because they ALWAYS got in early. They definitely notice who is in and who isn't. Don't bother if you don't want to.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:42 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:

*facepalm*
Oddly, during the interview that got me a job, as well as at two other interviews that didn't, the lawyers interviewing me said this was something they would look for in deciding to give someone a permanent offer. One actually said they had and would no-offer people who did not regularly wander the halls and get pop into random offices to chat over the summer. Apparently some firms really value facetime.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:43 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
floggered wrote:
2. I merely pointed out that 1Ls/2Ls shouldn't be doling out SA-related information when they haven't yet had an SA. These boards are extremely helpful when not based on speculation or hearsay.
Except there's a handful of 1Ls and 2Ls who have already had an SA. There are several people in my section alone who had 0L SAs and I know several people (on TLS and at school) who have already locked down SAs for 1L summer.
1. What the hell is a 0L SA, and 2. what possible useful advice could a 1L with an upcoming SA give about working as an SA?

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:47 pm

1. What the hell is a 0L SA
Those 0Ls weren't summer associates. They were interns.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:48 pm

the lawyers interviewing me said this was something they would look for in deciding to give someone a permanent offer. One actually said they had and would no-offer people who did not regularly wander the halls and get pop into random offices to chat over the summer. Apparently some firms really value facetime.
Sounds like a stupid place to work with a bunch of insufferable colleagues. Nothing worse than forced socializing.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:49 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
floggered wrote:
2. I merely pointed out that 1Ls/2Ls shouldn't be doling out SA-related information when they haven't yet had an SA. These boards are extremely helpful when not based on speculation or hearsay.
Except there's a handful of 1Ls and 2Ls who have already had an SA. There are several people in my section alone who had 0L SAs and I know several people (on TLS and at school) who have already locked down SAs for 1L summer.
I can vouch for this. I and 6 other people in my section had 0L SA's (all at Vault 50 firms) and about 8-10 in my section already have 1L SA's locked up with about 10 more having call backs in February. It might be smart if you don't jump to conclusions when you don't know what you're talking about. BTW the SA's at my firm came in between 9-9:30, so at least at my firm his advice was pretty spot on.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:56 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
1. What the hell is a 0L SA
Those 0Ls weren't summer associates. They were interns.
Call us whatever you want all I know is that I got assignments like the other SA's, I worked similar hours went to all of the events and training. I was paid less and maybe they didn't expect the same quality of work from us as they did a 2L but it was a very similar experience, and it surely would allow a person to answer a simple question like when did SA's normally come into work. Even being a paralegal at a firm for a year or two could give you the knowledge to answer that.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:00 pm

I was paid less and maybe they didn't expect the same quality of work from us as they did a 2L but it was a very similar experience, and it surely would allow a person to answer a simple question like when did SA's normally come into work. Even being a paralegal at a firm for a year or two could give you the knowledge to answer that.
I wasn't addressing whether you were "qualified" to answer the question. I was just saying you were interns. The fact that you received lower pay and had lower expectations is evidence of that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:15 pm

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:16 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
floggered wrote:
1. What the hell is a 0L SA, and 2. what possible useful advice could a 1L with an upcoming SA give about working as an SA?
1. SEO
2. None, my point being that when they are then 2Ls they could. He included 2Ls as people who couldn't give out advice either.
SEO? Search engine optimization?

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:49 pm

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:02 pm

We have SEO interns at our office. They're called, "SEO interns."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:11 pm

floggered

New

Post by floggered » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:11 pm

Twenty+ posts to determine whether and, if so, to what degree a current 1L--and former 0L-SA/SEO intern--can speak intelligently about 2L-SA hours. Typical law school; apologies to OP.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:35 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:We have SEO interns at our office. They're called, "SEO interns."
I fail to see how this is relevant to the discussion of whether they can talk about when SAs start their day.
It's actually very relevant. Someone else above expressed the idea that expectations were lower for interns. If that's the case, then whether or not it's important for you to come in at 9:30am depends on what is expected of you.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:37 pm

floggered wrote:Twenty+ posts to determine whether and, if so, to what degree a current 1L--and former 0L-SA/SEO intern--can speak intelligently about 2L-SA hours. Typical law school; apologies to OP.
I don't really care either way. My whole beef is that it varies from firm to firm and that a lot of people here seem to be projecting on their firms some sort of high value on face time. I can tell you for a fact that, at my firm, if you have no reason to be in your office that early in the morning or so late at night other than to show that you can be in your office that early in the morning or so late at night, people will laugh at you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:46 pm

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:53 pm

But as I said, they both see when other SAs come in and talk with them over the summer to learn that sort of thing.
I also believe there's a disconnect between what interns and paralegals think of what's expected of summer associates and associates and what is actually expected of summer associates and associates; that disconnect even exists between summer associates and regular associates--lot's of firms pull the wool over summer associates' eyes to lure them into coming to the firm full-time.

At the end of the day, all probably have valuable insights to offer. But the contention that SEO interns are merely SEO interns is not irrelevant at all.

anna11

New

Post by anna11 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:08 pm

OP: I am the one who asked about hours. I am SO SORRY my question led to this pointless debate. I hope your question was answered prior to, or somewhere in the middle of, this mess.

midwestls

New

Post by midwestls » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:25 pm

Totally depends on the market. You'd be very, very out of place rolling into my office as a SA at 10 a.m., and if you're in banking or finance you probably want to be there at 8 a.m. But our culture is start early/end early. There is no one there at 8 p.m.

If one of our summers asked me when to start their day I'd tell them between 8:30 and 9 a.m.

Two weekend social events. No weekend work hours expected.
Last edited by midwestls on Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:44 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
But as I said, they both see when other SAs come in and talk with them over the summer to learn that sort of thing.
I also believe there's a disconnect between what interns and paralegals think of what's expected of summer associates and associates and what is actually expected of summer associates and associates; that disconnect even exists between summer associates and regular associates--lot's of firms pull the wool over summer associates' eyes to lure them into coming to the firm full-time.

At the end of the day, all probably have valuable insights to offer. But the contention that SEO interns are merely SEO interns is not irrelevant at all.
You have no idea what you're talking about.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:53 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:

I like how you criticize someone for making a blanket statement about all firms but you make a blanket statement about all SEO interns. You have no idea what all know or what they don't. Just because your firm treated SEO interns a certain way, that's your firm. Some firms gave SEO interns very little responsibility others treated them just like SA's. Like at my firm. I came in before any SA (by choice), I got my assignment from the central assignment program, I attended all training and went to all the events the SA's did. I worked on a weekend. I hung out with the SA's at my firm. We talked all the time and I still talk with the guys that were there from school. I still get invited to the stuff my firm does at my law school and I was working hard there so I could get an offer to come back this year. So in my firm can you tell me the big difference between a SA and a SEO intern?

midwestls

New

Post by midwestls » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:56 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote: So in my firm can you tell me the big difference between a SA and a SEO intern?
Yes, but rather than try and convince you I'll just say that after you've been a summer associate, you'll chuckle at this comparison yourself.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:02 pm

Just because your firm treated SEO interns a certain way, that's your firm.
Actually, no. I was quoting the person above with respect to the expectations of interns vs. summer associates vs. associates. I made no objective statement about how SEO interns were treated at firms except in that they receive lower pay and have lower expectations.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”