Only 4 SA's from IUB?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Only 4 SA's from IUB?

Postby romothesavior » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:either way this thread ends, it's helpful to remember that there are 250 2Ls...thus far the high estimate is that 20 of them have SAs

The profession is so fucked.

User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: Only 4 SA's from IUB?

Postby johansantana21 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:either way this thread ends, it's helpful to remember that there are 250 2Ls...thus far the high estimate is that 20 of them have SAs


IUB, what did you expect.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273477
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Only 4 SA's from IUB?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:50 pm

First of all, between 1L attrition and transfers, IUB's class is no longer at 250. It is probably closer to 235 though someone else could say so for sure.

Second, some of the folks going to the firms mentioned earlier got offers at other biglaw shops and chose to go elsewhere. The people that went to the Kirklands, Sidleys, Lathams and Mayer Browns of the world got multiple offers, I assure you.

But do you have a chance at Chicago Biglaw if you are not ILJ and near the top 10%? Probably not. The kids I know going to the Chicago firms that were mentioned are probably closer to the top 3-5%. The Chicago market is downright brutal for every school right now. IUB's problem is that its "best" big city biglaw markets are DC and Chicago which are absurdly hard to crack. It has no roots in NYC at all and that is where the big summer classes still exist. On the other hand, IUB attracts very few (if any) true east coasters so maybe there is some selection bias over the years.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273477
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Only 4 SA's from IUB?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Maybe the rumor was referring to a particular law firm or to the 1L class.


I talked to teh person again, and they said 4 out of OCI, but that more got stuff from outside OCI. I still don't believe it. Said Jones Day was the best firm to come adn they took nobody.


JD extended offers that were not accepted.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Only 4 SA's from IUB?

Postby ndirish2010 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:29 am

At ND there are fewer than 5 kids going to big Chicago firms. Chicago was brutal.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Only 4 SA's from IUB?

Postby romothesavior » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:48 am

ndirish2010 wrote:At ND there are fewer than 5 kids going to big Chicago firms. Chicago was brutal.

I dunno what our number is but I know we have more than that.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273477
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Only 4 SA's from IUB?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Second, some of the folks going to the firms mentioned earlier got offers at other biglaw shops and chose to go elsewhere. The people that went to the Kirklands, Sidleys, Lathams and Mayer Browns of the world got multiple offers, I assure you.



What the hell does this have to do with anything? So the top 2% of the class has multiple offers. But even that isn't necessarily true, as I know people from this range, and at the above listed firms, who got 1 biglaw SA offer and that's it.

All I know is the 20 SA figure is sure as fuck better, at least quality wise if not quantity wise, than last year where there was 1 Latham, 1 Jones Day, 1 Chapman, 1 Arnold and Porter, 1 Honigman, and a sprinkling of Indianapolis firms.

Either way, the employment prospects out of this school aren't good. Really not good. The ranking, clearly is inflated. Still, things are getting slightly better.

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: Only 4 SA's from IUB?

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Second, some of the folks going to the firms mentioned earlier got offers at other biglaw shops and chose to go elsewhere. The people that went to the Kirklands, Sidleys, Lathams and Mayer Browns of the world got multiple offers, I assure you.



What the hell does this have to do with anything? So the top 2% of the class has multiple offers. But even that isn't necessarily true, as I know people from this range, and at the above listed firms, who got 1 biglaw SA offer and that's it.

All I know is the 20 SA figure is sure as fuck better than last year where there was 1 Latham, 1 Jones Day, 1 Chapman, 1 Arnold and Porter, 1 Honigman, and a sprinkling of Indianapolis firms.

Either way, the employment prospects out of this school aren't good. Really not good. The ranking, clearly is inflated.


I said 20 at NLJ 250 firms has to be the upper limit, the only firm names given are have are not that much better than last year:

2 Mayer Brown - Chicago
1 Sidley Austin - Dallas
3 Chapman & Cutler - Chicago
1 Latham & Watkins - Chicago
5 Faegre Baker Daniels - Indianapolis
1 Kirkland & Ellis - Chicago
>1 Barnes & Thornburg - Indianapolis
1 Ice Miller - Indianapolis
1 Taft Stettinius - Indianapolis

Younger Abstention
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: Only 4 SA's from IUB?

Postby Younger Abstention » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:36 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Second, some of the folks going to the firms mentioned earlier got offers at other biglaw shops and chose to go elsewhere. The people that went to the Kirklands, Sidleys, Lathams and Mayer Browns of the world got multiple offers, I assure you.



What the hell does this have to do with anything? So the top 2% of the class has multiple offers. But even that isn't necessarily true, as I know people from this range, and at the above listed firms, who got 1 biglaw SA offer and that's it.

All I know is the 20 SA figure is sure as fuck better than last year where there was 1 Latham, 1 Jones Day, 1 Chapman, 1 Arnold and Porter, 1 Honigman, and a sprinkling of Indianapolis firms.

Either way, the employment prospects out of this school aren't good. Really not good. The ranking, clearly is inflated.


I said 20 at NLJ 250 firms has to be the upper limit, the only firm names given are have are not that much better than last year:

2 Mayer Brown - Chicago
1 Sidley Austin - Dallas
3 Chapman & Cutler - Chicago
1 Latham & Watkins - Chicago
5 Faegre Baker Daniels - Indianapolis
1 Kirkland & Ellis - Chicago
>1 Barnes & Thornburg - Indianapolis
1 Ice Miller - Indianapolis
1 Taft Stettinius - Indianapolis


.
Last edited by Younger Abstention on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273477
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Only 4 SA's from IUB?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:52 pm

IUB having not-so-hot employment outcomes is not newsworthy. Nor is it newsworthy to say the same thing about UIUC or Notre Dame. I assure you that both ND and UIUC have similarly pitiful numbers in Chicago. Certain firms (Mayer, Sidley) almost never take anyone from Notre Dame while other ones (Winston, Kirkland) take several. Jenner doesn't even go out of the t14 anymore. Chicago is a hellish Biglaw market, that should not be news to anybody here.

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: Only 4 SA's from IUB?

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:IUB having not-so-hot employment outcomes is not newsworthy. Nor is it newsworthy to say the same thing about UIUC or Notre Dame. I assure you that both ND and UIUC have similarly pitiful numbers in Chicago. Certain firms (Mayer, Sidley) almost never take anyone from Notre Dame while other ones (Winston, Kirkland) take several. Jenner doesn't even go out of the t14 anymore. Chicago is a hellish Biglaw market, that should not be news to anybody here.


Notre Dame places 24% at NLJ 250 firms

UIUC places 18% at NLJ 250 firms

IUB places under 10% at NLJ 250 firms

Not seeing how those are the same thing. And I know you say "in Chicago," but still.

http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/2011/03/class-of-2010-nlj-250-statistics/

Anonymous User
Posts: 273477
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Only 4 SA's from IUB?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:51 pm

IUB is especially bad in relation to other schools from this ranking group. But most students get great scholarships, so...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273477
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Only 4 SA's from IUB?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:56 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:IUB having not-so-hot employment outcomes is not newsworthy. Nor is it newsworthy to say the same thing about UIUC or Notre Dame. I assure you that both ND and UIUC have similarly pitiful numbers in Chicago. Certain firms (Mayer, Sidley) almost never take anyone from Notre Dame while other ones (Winston, Kirkland) take several. Jenner doesn't even go out of the t14 anymore. Chicago is a hellish Biglaw market, that should not be news to anybody here.


Notre Dame places 24% at NLJ 250 firms

UIUC places 18% at NLJ 250 firms

IUB places under 10% at NLJ 250 firms

Not seeing how those are the same thing. And I know you say "in Chicago," but still.

http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/2011/03/class-of-2010-nlj-250-statistics/


I was really only talking about Chicago.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Only 4 SA's from IUB?

Postby Ludo! » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:IUB having not-so-hot employment outcomes is not newsworthy. Nor is it newsworthy to say the same thing about UIUC or Notre Dame. I assure you that both ND and UIUC have similarly pitiful numbers in Chicago. Certain firms (Mayer, Sidley) almost never take anyone from Notre Dame while other ones (Winston, Kirkland) take several. Jenner doesn't even go out of the t14 anymore. Chicago is a hellish Biglaw market, that should not be news to anybody here.


Not to quibble too much because I'm not saying UIUC's placement is great - but it's not nearly this bad. Most of the top 10-15% of 2ls right now have BigLaw jobs. (And the only one I know who doesn't is because he has the burgers). There are Illinois SAs at all the Chicago firms you mentioned, including Jenner.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273477
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Only 4 SA's from IUB?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:37 pm

I know of at least one IUB headed to NLJ250 in Louisville.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273477
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Only 4 SA's from IUB?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:37 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:IUB having not-so-hot employment outcomes is not newsworthy. Nor is it newsworthy to say the same thing about UIUC or Notre Dame. I assure you that both ND and UIUC have similarly pitiful numbers in Chicago. Certain firms (Mayer, Sidley) almost never take anyone from Notre Dame while other ones (Winston, Kirkland) take several. Jenner doesn't even go out of the t14 anymore. Chicago is a hellish Biglaw market, that should not be news to anybody here.


Not to quibble too much because I'm not saying UIUC's placement is great - but it's not nearly this bad. Most of the top 10-15% of 2ls right now have BigLaw jobs. (And the only one I know who doesn't is because he has the burgers). There are Illinois SAs at all the Chicago firms you mentioned, including Jenner.


Ok, how many at each of the Chicago Big Five + Latham/Jones Day/Skadden?

Younger Abstention
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: Only 4 SA's from IUB?

Postby Younger Abstention » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:I know of at least one IUB headed to NLJ250 in Louisville.


.
Last edited by Younger Abstention on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Only 4 SA's from IUB?

Postby Ludo! » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:IUB having not-so-hot employment outcomes is not newsworthy. Nor is it newsworthy to say the same thing about UIUC or Notre Dame. I assure you that both ND and UIUC have similarly pitiful numbers in Chicago. Certain firms (Mayer, Sidley) almost never take anyone from Notre Dame while other ones (Winston, Kirkland) take several. Jenner doesn't even go out of the t14 anymore. Chicago is a hellish Biglaw market, that should not be news to anybody here.


Not to quibble too much because I'm not saying UIUC's placement is great - but it's not nearly this bad. Most of the top 10-15% of 2ls right now have BigLaw jobs. (And the only one I know who doesn't is because he has the burgers). There are Illinois SAs at all the Chicago firms you mentioned, including Jenner.


Ok, how many at each of the Chicago Big Five + Latham/Jones Day/Skadden?


2 at Sidley, 4 at Kirkland, at least 1 each at the rest but none that I know of at Skadden because they didn't come to our OCI. (Somebody might have got them through mass mailing but if so I don't know them personally). Again, not saying the placement is great but for top 10-15% almost everyone has a biglaw SA and most are in Chicago.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273477
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Only 4 SA's from IUB?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:12 pm

So thus far we know of at least the following UIUC Biglaw Chicago placements:

2 Sidley (out of a class size of 40+)
4 at K&E (out of a class size of 50+)
3 at Mayer Brown (out of a class size of 30)
at least 1 at Jenner
Winston?

That's roughly 10 UIUC people at the Chicago heavyweights. I might hesitate to call that a good showing from the state's flagship law school.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Only 4 SA's from IUB?

Postby Ludo! » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:27 pm

I know Winston made offers, not sure if we have anybody going there.

I never said it was a good showing, just saying the idea that big firms don't hire anyone from Illinois is an overstatement.

User avatar
MBZags
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: Only 4 SA's from IUB?

Postby MBZags » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:37 pm

I think there are a couple people going to Winston.

WSJ_Law
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:33 am

Re: Only 4 SA's from IUB?

Postby WSJ_Law » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:48 pm

IUB....

TTT;DR

User avatar
D-hops
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: Only 4 SA's from IUB?

Postby D-hops » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:55 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:At ND there are fewer than 5 kids going to big Chicago firms. Chicago was brutal.


I find this highly unlikely, could be true, but I know of at least two at a biglaw firm.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Only 4 SA's from IUB?

Postby beachbum » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:04 pm

So... the top 10% at Illinois and Indiana are golden; what happens to the rest of the class?

Chicago is scary as shit.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Only 4 SA's from IUB?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:15 pm





Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.