SEC Summer Honors (unpaid) v. DHS (paid) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
eastcoast_iub

Bronze

SEC Summer Honors (unpaid) v. DHS (paid)

Post by eastcoast_iub » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:53 pm

I was just accepted to the SEC Summer Honors Program, but I was also offerred a paid internship at DHS (~$12k for summer).

I have several years work experience in the investment industry and an MBA, so my experience lines up with the SEC internship better, and it seems pretty interesting. I understand that the program is pretty competitive as well, so may be viewed favorably on a resume.

At the same time, the other position is paid, plus it will give me an opportunity to get something non-investment related on my resume.

The consensus on here seems to be that what you do for your 1L internship is not hugely important, so long as it is legal work.
Given that, I am inclined to take the DHS job. Need final decision by tomorrow (and SEC won't let me split my summer). Thoughts?

Helmholtz

Gold

Re: SEC Summer Honors (unpaid) v. DHS (paid)

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:55 pm

I would take the money in a heartbeat.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:44 pm

For a 1L summer, the money will be fine.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:57 am

Post-stalked and saw DC biglaw is your end game. For that reason, I would seriously consider taking SEC, because it has a lot of caché in the legal community, because you'll probably make a few decent connections, and because from UIB, that's an uphill battle for DC. Honestly I think it's an uphill battle either way but I think you could give yourself more opportunities.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:32 am

I can see why the SEC would sound better, but they do take 150 kids for the summer and it doesn't give you anything besides a resume line. DHS is likely to give him a security clearance and he will be one of very few interns. Also, the SEC never hires its interns, but DHS has been known to. DHS will also get him into the OPM database with time in service, which is nice down the road. And for a 1L summer, firms won't care.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:33 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:I can see why the SEC would sound better, but they do take 150 kids for the summer and it doesn't give you anything besides a resume line. DHS is likely to give him a security clearance and he will be one of very few interns. Also, the SEC never hires its interns, but DHS has been known to. DHS will also get him into the OPM database with time in service, which is nice down the road. And for a 1L summer, firms won't care.
I don't agree that firms won't care in his particular case of almost certainly being a transfer aiming for DC. DC DOES seem to like people who have "prestigious" agency experience (which is pretty much limited to SEC or DOJ). At my school, which struggles to place in DC, people with 1L summers at prestigious and recognizable places seemed to do better than their similarly situated counterparts. I suspect this is part of what it means to have "ties" to DC. If there's some advantage to lawyers having security clearance, I don't know about it, but I'd love to hear.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:38 pm

FWIW I really enjoyed my summer at the SEC this past summer and it played really well with the firms I interviewed with. Outperformed my numbers pretty significantly, got a couple V5 offers. It fucking sucked not getting paid and having to pay DC rent on top of paying for my place back at school, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”