social events

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

social events

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:30 am

whats the protocal for social events in the summer? im just curious what kind and how many most V20 firms have?

BunkMoreland

Re: social events

Postby BunkMoreland » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:47 am

What do you mean protocol? You should go to all of them. There are lots of various types of events. There's drinks, dinners, theater or other stuch events, sporting events, parties, "active" events like bowling, cooking, etc.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:56 am

BunkMoreland wrote:What do you mean protocol? You should go to all of them. There are lots of various types of events. There's drinks, dinners, theater or other stuch events, sporting events, parties, "active" events like bowling, cooking, etc.

This. Varies by firm, of course, but they're awesome opportunities to relax, chat, eat, drink, etc.

If by "protocol" you mean "how they work," then typically, at some appointed time your recruiting coordinator will have all the summers either meet in a central location in/near the office and go to the event (e.g. hand out metro cards, get black cars/cabs/charter bus, etc.) or set a meeting place at/near the event. Then, you go to event and enjoy it. Then, you go out afterwards (TMFCR) or go home (lame).

It's a pretty simple operation. SA'ing was probably one of the best summers. Evar.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:45 pm

what if you're not that social and you don't drink? i imagine i'll grin and bear it, but i doubt it'll be the best summer ever.

HETPE3B

Postby HETPE3B » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what if you're not that social and you don't drink? i imagine i'll grin and bear it, but i doubt it'll be the best summer ever.

What's a better reason to start drinking? Or reconsider the whole biglaw thing altogether..

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what if you're not that social and you don't drink? i imagine i'll grin and bear it, but i doubt it'll be the best summer ever.

What's your question? Can you skip them? Not really. Order Sprite and lime and pretend like you're not infected with the burgers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:10 pm

IAFG wrote:

What's your question? Can you skip them? Not really. Order Sprite and lime and pretend like you're not infected with the burgers.

no question really...just feeling a tiny bit sorry for myself but i realize things could be much worse...also, what's "the burgers"? i forgot to mention i'm also vegetarian, so i'm not into shit at steakhouses either.

BunkMoreland

Postby BunkMoreland » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:

no question really...just feeling a tiny bit sorry for myself but i realize things could be much worse...also, what's "the burgers"? i forgot to mention i'm also vegetarian, so i'm not into shit at steakhouses either.

Can you just reneg now? You sound awful to be around and I wouldn't want to work BIGLAW with you

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:33 am

just order sprite and say its gin and tonic

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:42 am

BunkMoreland wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Can you just reneg now? You sound awful to be around and I wouldn't want to work BIGLAW with you

Yes, yes, we wouldn't want the pleasant, socially-comepetent members of the biglaw club infected with someone neurotic and awkward.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:whats the protocal for social events in the summer? im just curious what kind and how many most V20 firms have?

Get hammertimed and hook up with the hot associates to prove that you are ALPHA. People who are ALPHA get offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:58 am

how often are these events?

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:how often are these events?

Usually once or twice a week. "Informal" events, however, can be 3-4 nights a week. :wink:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:07 pm

will how much you go to "informal" events affect your likelihood of getting an offer (assuming you make friends with the other summers/people at the firm during the day)?

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:10 pm

get a club soda in a glass w/ lime slice. People will assume it's a gin and tonic. And develop a personality. Realize that you'll need to build relationships to succeed in life.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:will how much you go to "informal" events affect your likelihood of getting an offer (assuming you make friends with the other summers/people at the firm during the day)?

You missed the joke, but generally, skipping-out should not affect your offer. You might get painted as "lame," but to be fair, the summer isn't a popularity contest.

IMO, unless you're married/have kids/etc., why not go out and make an attempt to forge "outside-the-office" bonds with the people you might be working alongside for the foreseeable future? Doing so doesn't necessarily require drinking four nights a week (unless that's your thing). People willing to take that leap often seem to be much more enjoyable to work with/be around.

Postby 20130312 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:will how much you go to "informal" events affect your likelihood of getting an offer (assuming you make friends with the other summers/people at the firm during the day)?

Seriously? Just go hang out with them. It's fun (even without alcohol. But alcohol is way more fun).

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:43 pm

law students are a bunch of children. the funny part is people our age not in law school are adults. pretty sad state of affairs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:46 pm

can spouses attend the "informal" events or is that weird? seems good to bond with cohort, but bad to leave spouse alone five nights a week.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:can spouses attend the "informal" events or is that weird? seems good to bond with cohort, but bad to leave spouse alone five nights a week.

Use your judgment. There's no all-encompassing answer to your question. Some SAs bring them, some don't. It's not a big deal either way, unless the spouse becomes a liability to you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:38 pm

I skipped several of the more formal events (the firm picked out a handful of really stupid things, and then I cut out of going to a baseball game because it was 99 degrees outside and yeah, no) and never went to any of the informal stuff. I got an offer. But I also completed more assignments than most of my colleagues and so on. I imagine that if your work put you on shaky ground, lack of schmoozing might tip you over to not getting hired. But your work is still the overriding consideration, unless you're a douche about the way you bow out of the social stuff.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:44 pm

Grizz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:

thank you for this, all of you.

Return to “Legal Employment”