Where to take the bar?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
LawIdiot86

Where to take the bar?

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:49 pm

I have a rather unique situation for taking the bar. I'm from NY and will most likely end up in DC. I intend to take the NY and NJ bar, but because of my academic schedule, I will have another sitting of the bar while I'm in an LL.M. program. Since the LL.M. is fairly easy and the knowledge will be fresh, I was thinking about taking it in a third state. My options would be PA, IL, VA, MD, CA, CT or TX. Are there any particular pros or cons among those? Are any of those particularly difficult to reciprocity into if I tried to transfer in later from NY? Which ones permit the MBE to be carried over? I know CA is three days so it couldn't be paired with MA, what other states permit or prohibit pairing? Why isn't there a chart out there with all these rules on them?

madame defarge

Re: Where to take the bar?

Postby madame defarge » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:14 pm

Out of curiosity, why are you considering so many random jurisdictions if you want to end up in DC? Anyhow, for DC I would recommend just waiving in or taking the MD bar because there are no CLE requirements.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:08 pm

madame defarge wrote:Out of curiosity, why are you considering so many random jurisdictions if you want to end up in DC? Anyhow, for DC I would recommend just waiving in or taking the MD bar because there are no CLE requirements.

I want to end up in DC, but I recognize my career may take me to different places and those seem like the places I'm most likely to end up in along the way. Thanks for the MD tip.

dood

Postby dood » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:21 pm

CA bc it's the best state in the union w/medicinal marijuana

and most difficult to waive in (basically can't)

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:19 pm

Take one in a non-reciprocal state & at least one in a jurisdiction that offers reciprocity. As an aside, I know several that belong to NY, California & Illinois and waive into DC.

Return to “Legal Employment”