"special assistant district attorney/assistant attorney gene

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

"special assistant district attorney/assistant attorney gene

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:40 pm

are these unpaid positions?

LawIdiot86

Re: "special assistant district attorney/assistant attorney gene

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:are these unpaid positions?

Yes.

anongoodnurse

Postby anongoodnurse » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:14 am

Actually, some SpAAGs at the state level are private practice attorneys who have been engaged for discrete matters and generally bill like they would with any other client, though usually at discounted rates. Others (I think) are contract attorneys, though this is going to vary dramatically on a state-by-state basis (both whether the state hires contract attorneys, and also whether it calls them SpAAGs).

But to give you the most practical answer to your question, if it is a job announcement and not a RFP, it's probably either unpaid or no benefit contract work. And if it is a RFP, you're not getting it unless you are a rainmaker at a firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:24 am

you know, someone in my class gave up the school's paid RA'ship and is now working as special AAG ....
he'd rather not take the money?

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:you know, someone in my class gave up the school's paid RA'ship and is now working as special AAG ....
he'd rather not take the money?

When I applied to one of these in NJ, I was told it was unpaid, but would move me to the head of the line when they got funding for permanent spots. Apparently they had just gotten funding to hire four people who had been working unpaid for only nine months after passing the bar.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:42 am

ah so sometimes it's worth it - working in unpaid positions - so long as the employer has conscience and is ethical enough....

Return to “Legal Employment”