Cold Emailing Someone

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cold Emailing Someone

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:38 pm

So, I have a contact in DC (someone I've known since I was a little kid) who works at the DoJ. I'm a 1L, and he's been helping me out by getting my resume into the right hands in different departments and all that good stuff. Yesterday, he gave me one of his friends e-mail adresses who works at the FTC, and told me to get in touch with her.

My question is, wtf do I say to her in the e-mail?

I mean, really. Bottom line is, I'm just looking for meaningful employment for my 1L summer. Should I be extremely straightforward about this, or should I beat around the bush/brown-nose/etc.?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

LeDique

Re: Cold Emailing Someone

Postby LeDique » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, I have a contact in DC (someone I've known since I was a little kid) who works at the DoJ. I'm a 1L, and he's been helping me out by getting my resume into the right hands in different departments and all that good stuff. Yesterday, he gave me one of his friends e-mail adresses who works at the FTC, and told me to get in touch with her.

I mean, really. Bottom line is, I'm just looking for meaningful employment for my 1L summer. Should I be extremely straightforward about this, or should I beat around the bush/brown-nose/etc.?

Thanks.

Introduce yourself. Explain that you are writing because your friend gave you her information and suggested you contact her. Explain why exactly you are writing and what you hope to gain from writing her.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:06 pm

LeDique wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So, I have a contact in DC (someone I've known since I was a little kid) who works at the DoJ. I'm a 1L, and he's been helping me out by getting my resume into the right hands in different departments and all that good stuff. Yesterday, he gave me one of his friends e-mail adresses who works at the FTC, and told me to get in touch with her.

Thanks.

Introduce yourself. Explain that you are writing because your friend gave you her information and suggested you contact her. Explain why exactly you are writing and what you hope to gain from writing her.

Thanks. Yea, that sounds easy enough. I think I'm having a hard time figuring out what to say because I feel like everything I write in an e-mail comes off as awkward.

Any other input is appreciated.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:19 pm

Hi Ms. Hotlawyerlady,

My name is Aspiring Lawgod. My good friend, Zeus DOJlawyer, was kind enough to give me your contact information and suggested that I write to you in regards to a potential summer internship position with Winken, Blinken, & Nod, P.C. I am currently a first year student at Awesome Law School.

Blah, blah, blah.

Bobby Dazzler

Postby Bobby Dazzler » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:20 pm

Put "Our mutual friend [full name] suggested that I contact you" as the subject line.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:24 pm

kalvano wrote:Hi Ms. Hotlawyerlady,

My name is Aspiring Lawgod. My good friend, Zeus DOJlawyer, was kind enough to give me your contact information and suggested that I write to you in regards to a potential summer internship position with Winken, Blinken, & Nod, P.C. I am currently a first year student at Awesome Law School.

Blah, blah, blah.

Thanks.

Bobby Dazzler wrote:Put "Our mutual friend [full name] suggested that I contact you" as the subject line.

Really? Seriously curious. I would have titled it something like "DC employment inquiry" or something like that. But now I don't think I will.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:27 pm

Definitely put the referrer's name in the subject line somewhere. "DC Employment Question" sounds vague and awful, and like something she will want to trash.

Bobby Dazzler

Postby Bobby Dazzler » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:28 pm

Bobby Dazzler wrote:Put "Our mutual friend [full name] suggested that I contact you" as the subject line.

Really? Seriously curious. I would have titled it something like "DC employment inquiry" or something like that. But now I don't think I will.[/quote]

If you want a quicker reply, or even a reply at all, I personally think it's better to use a subject line that will catch the reader's attention. FWIW, I got this advice a long time ago from Guerrilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of Your Dreams. Check it out on Amazon or in your law library.

Edit: quoting fail...

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:03 am

Yes, name drop as hard as you can to get a screener; the subject line is a great place if you can phrase is right. Expect to get cold-shoulders and maybe even yelled at for it. A partner at a big firm in DC told me during an informational interview that unless people are yelling at you on a weekly basis during the job search because of how hard you are pushing it, then you aren't trying hard enough. I've kicked in hotel room doors (literally) to get a screener (and got the CB), so a subject line name drop is nothing.

LawMan20

Postby LawMan20 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:10 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:Yes, name drop as hard as you can to get a screener; the subject line is a great place if you can phrase is right. Expect to get cold-shoulders and maybe even yelled at for it. A partner at a big firm in DC told me during an informational interview that unless people are yelling at you on a weekly basis during the job search because of how hard you are pushing it, then you aren't trying hard enough. I've kicked in hotel room doors (literally) to get a screener (and got the CB), so a subject line name drop is nothing.

What's a screaner?

Seriously, though, I'm way far from DC, and I'm just emailing her to see if she has any opportunities in her branch or any advice for securing DC employment. I don't think I need to be kicking in doors/causing people to yell at me... but I may be wrong??

I'll definitely do the subject line name drop, though.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:13 am

These things are best not overthought. Be normal and say the logical things to say. Don't try to be creative or witty, especially in a first e-mail.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:46 am

A screener is a 15-30 minute interview, many times with a junior associate, given to a large number of candidates whose resumes the firm found interesting. Based on who they liked screening, a smaller number will be invited into the office for 3-8 20-30 minute interview with associates and partners.

If you have good grades or a slick personality at a good school, then you won't need to work too hard next year. Otherwise, you'd better get used to rejection and rudeness as you're going to have to bug, cajole, and intrude on a lot of people to find one who will give your resume a look over and maybe pass it to HOUR with a positive note if they see something you like. My ratio was roughly 60/1200 from cold emails and 3/50 from cold phone calls. Only got yelled at six or seven times though.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:31 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:Yes, name drop as hard as you can to get a screener; the subject line is a great place if you can phrase is right. Expect to get cold-shoulders and maybe even yelled at for it. A partner at a big firm in DC told me during an informational interview that unless people are yelling at you on a weekly basis during the job search because of how hard you are pushing it, then you aren't trying hard enough. I've kicked in hotel room doors (literally) to get a screener (and got the CB), so a subject line name drop is nothing.

I think your username is certainly accurate.

Sapientia

Postby Sapientia » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:36 am

This thread is relevant to my interests.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:15 pm

kalvano wrote:

I think your username is certainly accurate.

Probably, but worked for me, so it can't be that stupid.

Return to “Legal Employment”