Callback Tips

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Callback Tips

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:57 pm

I've read the sticky at the top of the page, was wondering if anyone can elaborate on callbacks, especially for 1L SA gigs. Thank you.

Anonymous User

Re: Callback Tips

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:56 pm

Have lots of questions ready. I had 2 hours worth of interviews and was asked maybe 4 or 5 questions the whole time. My interviewers were almost all partners and half of them hadn't even looked at my materials before I walked in the door.

Might not be typical, but you should at least think of a few open ended questions that can fill time if this happens to you too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have lots of questions ready. I had 2 hours worth of interviews and was asked maybe 4 or 5 questions the whole time. My interviewers were almost all partners and half of them hadn't even looked at my materials before I walked in the door.

Great, this is a real helpful tip. What kind of questions did you ask?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have lots of questions ready. I had 2 hours worth of interviews and was asked maybe 4 or 5 questions the whole time. My interviewers were almost all partners and half of them hadn't even looked at my materials before I walked in the door.

I asked open ended questions about their practice area and current cases. I also asked everyone about their take on firm culture. Follow up questions were pretty easy from there. If you have some way to steer them toward something that overlaps with your experience that is always helpful (especially if they don't appear to have read over your resume)

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Questions that demonstrate you've done some (but not obsessive) research on the firm or the interviewer's experience are great. After that, just ask about what you're interested in. As long as you're not asking about info that can be found easily on their website and you use some common sense, it's hard to ask a "bad" question.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I asked open ended questions about their practice area and current cases. I also asked everyone about their take on firm culture. Follow up questions were pretty easy from there. If you have some way to steer them toward something that overlaps with your experience that is always helpful (especially if they don't appear to have read over your resume)

What about logistics: did you bring a bag or anything? extra copies of your resume and transcript? if so, how many?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What about logistics: did you bring a bag or anything? extra copies of your resume and transcript? if so, how many?

I asked about this in advance, and since I had a screener they had all of those things already. It can't hurt to have them on hand though.

Bring a professional looking padfolio. Coats and bags are usually left in the coat room/closet so they won't matter too much, but still try to be professional looking when you walk in the door.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What about logistics: did you bring a bag or anything? extra copies of your resume and transcript? if so, how many?

I asked about this in advance, and since I had a screener they had all of those things already. It can't hurt to have them on hand though.

Bring a professional looking padfolio. Coats and bags are usually left in the coat room/closet so they won't matter too much, but still try to be professional looking when you walk in the door.

Thanks. I don't have any professional looking bags, do you think I should pick one up? any suggestions? Should i look at briefcases or something else?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks. I don't have any professional looking bags, do you think I should pick one up? any suggestions? Should i look at briefcases or something else?

Probably not. The only person likely to see your bag is the receptionist or anyone who is randomly strolling through the lobby when you come in. I don't think they will judge you as long as you are dressed professionally and act the part.

Return to “Legal Employment”