Firm doesn't pay bar stipend Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Firm doesn't pay bar stipend

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:15 pm

I'm lucky enough to have a big law job at a v-20 in NYC. But, I just realized that the firm doesn't pay a bar stipend/salary advance or anything of the sort. How do people plan to survive for those 4-5 months between graduation and starting work?

I don't mean to sound spoiled or complaining, I am wondering because I'm not looking forward to 10k more in debt.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Re: Firm doesn't pay bar stipend

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:15 pm

Out the firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:21 pm

That's highly unusual for a V20 in NYC. Did they tell you explicitly that they don't do anything, or have you just not heard anything yet. My V30 firm gives a $15,000 stipend, and a lot of friends in similar situations are either getting a stipend or bar reimbursement/salary advance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:25 pm

OP here,

I know its strange, but in this market I guess firms can get away with strange things. I haven't contacted them directly but, according the their website and ATL they do not.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:25 pm

Can you take a bar loan? Should be enough to cover BarBri and summer living expenses.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rv11

Bronze

Post by rv11 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:26 pm

DPW?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:43 pm

OP here,

I wont out the firm- I'm not here to bash them, rather just to get an idea as to how other student are dealing with similar situations. Looks like a bar loan is probably the easiest and most common solution.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:49 pm

The prospect of taking additional loan money sucks. Anyone with experience doing this/how to?

My NYC-firm offers a modest bar stipend, but certainly not enough to cover first/last month's rent + security deposit for a decent (read: conservative interpretation) NYC apartment. Fck NYC housing and fml, but thankful for not being nojerbpwnd.

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:11 pm

I'd say the majority or a near majority of V20's in NY don't pay bar stipend so "outing them" would do nothing. DPW, Cleary, Gibson, Paul Weiss, Ropes, Simpson, Skadden, SullCrom off the top of my head if I recall correctly.

Some may offer a salary advance but thats obviouslny not the same thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm lucky enough to have a big law job at a v-20 in NYC. But, I just realized that the firm doesn't pay a bar stipend/salary advance or anything of the sort. How do people plan to survive for those 4-5 months between graduation and starting work?

I don't mean to sound spoiled or complaining, I am wondering because I'm not looking forward to 10k more in debt.
My lowly V100 firm pays a bar study stipend of $15k.
I guess a V20 in NYC doesn't care about new associates, for they have an extremely long waitlist to replace a disgruntled law student.

I also suspect it depends on the practice group you'll join. I found that another person who will join the same firm but in a different group will not get the stipend.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm lucky enough to have a big law job at a v-20 in NYC. But, I just realized that the firm doesn't pay a bar stipend/salary advance or anything of the sort. How do people plan to survive for those 4-5 months between graduation and starting work?

Are you a 2L or a 3L? If you're a 2L, have enough sense to not blow ALL of your summer money. If you're a 3L, I guess you should have thought about that additional debt sooner.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:12 am

lol "how will i survive???!"

most v20s don't pay, i think a decent amount give advances.
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:30 am

I'd say the majority or a near majority of V20's in NY don't pay bar stipend so "outing them" would do nothing. DPW, Cleary, Gibson, Paul Weiss, Ropes, Simpson, Skadden, SullCrom off the top of my head if I recall correctly.
OP says he's not getting a salary advance either. Thus, outing the firm would do "something."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
OP says he's not getting a salary advance either. Thus, outing the firm would do "something."
Yup, it would. GDC, PW, and S&C all at least give an advance, even in NYC.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”