What I wish I would have known going into my first OCI...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
alicrimson

Re: What I wish I would have known going into my first OCI...

Postby alicrimson » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:16 pm

We have our schedules. Of the five firms who have announced interviews, I have been chosen for all five. I'm waiting on the last three who haven't made announcements. I'm anywhere between number 5-7 in my class (second in my section for sure) and have somewhat interesting experiences from undergrad (pretty much all athletic related). Do you guys think it would be a good idea to send out letters to additional firms now or wait until I see if I get callbacks? Also, I have a judicial clerkship set up with a family friend who told me I should back out if I can find paying work. I'm just trying to get a feel for time lines.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:18 pm

You shoulda sent mailers for 1L SA positions like 2 months ago. Get on it.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:21 pm

Grizz wrote:You shoulda sent mailers for 1L SA positions like 2 months ago. Get on it.

In your opinion, is a 1L unpaid SA better than a judicial externship? I have that all set up but on the off chance something came through with OCI I don't want to mess up with firms back home before I really need them for 2L summer. I'm mostly using this OCI bit as an experience builder. I haven't interviewed for anything really meaningful and don't expect much out of it. I'm just planning on preparing and using it to kind of get an idea of what I need to work most on for the Fall.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:50 pm

alicrimson wrote:
Grizz wrote:You shoulda sent mailers for 1L SA positions like 2 months ago. Get on it.

In your opinion, is a 1L unpaid SA better than a judicial externship? I have that all set up but on the off chance something came through with OCI I don't want to mess up with firms back home before I really need them for 2L summer. I'm mostly using this OCI bit as an experience builder. I haven't interviewed for anything really meaningful and don't expect much out of it. I'm just planning on preparing and using it to kind of get an idea of what I need to work most on for the Fall.

Unpaid SA? That's illegal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:05 am

Grizz wrote:
alicrimson wrote:

Yes, it's illegal, but if they'll give it to you and will give you a reference after the internship (not shady med mal lawyers who need a coffee boy, an actual firm with an actual legal internship), then go for it because it gives you a huge leg up come 2L OCI.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Grizz wrote:
alicrimson wrote:

Yes, it's illegal, but if they'll give it to you and will give you a reference after the internship (not shady med mal lawyers who need a coffee boy, an actual firm with an actual legal internship), then go for it because it gives you a huge leg up come 2L OCI.

I didn't see it, but whatever.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:25 am

Any respectable firm that could possibly help with a big firm job at 2L OCI will pay their interns for the summer. Even small 20 person firms will pay. Not paying your interns is TTT.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:26 am

romothesavior wrote:Any respectable firm that could possibly help with a big firm job at 2L OCI will pay their interns for the summer. Even small 20 person firms will pay. Not paying your interns is TTT.

1L jobs are all about how you spin it.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:30 am

IAFG wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Any respectable firm that could possibly help with a big firm job at 2L OCI will pay their interns for the summer. Even small 20 person firms will pay. Not paying your interns is TTT.

Yes, obviously. You can take any summer experience and spin it for 2L OCI, and the interviewer won't care as long as you make it sound good. When I said "help," I meant "give you a boost more than the average bullshit summer job." The anon I was responding to said that 1L unpaid firm jobs are a "huge leg up" at OCI, and that's just crap.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:34 am

romothesavior wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Yes, obviously. You can take any summer experience and spin it for 2L OCI, and the interviewer won't care as long as you make it sound good. When I said "help," I meant "give you a boost more than the average bullshit summer job." The anon I was responding to said that 1L unpaid firm jobs are a "huge leg up" at OCI, and that's just crap.

I mean I think you could spin a firm gig better than yet another judicial externship... but I guess I would want to know more about what the firm does.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:37 am

IAFG wrote:I mean I think you could spin a firm gig better than yet another judicial externship... but I guess I would want to know more about what the firm does.

I think we're in agreement. Pretty much all 1L jobs are on a more or less equal footing for 2L OCI. Maybe legit firm work would stand out to some degree, but then you might also have to explain why you didn't get asked back for 2L. All I know is that if there exists a type of 1L firm job that would help at 2L OCI, it would not be the type that illegally takes on free interns. That much is certain.

Return to “Legal Employment”