What I wish I would have known going into my first OCI...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
alicrimson

What I wish I would have known going into my first OCI...

Postby alicrimson » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:06 pm

Hello everyone,

I, like many ickle 1Ls, are about to embark on the fabulous journey that is first year spring OCI interviews. I was hoping that the wisdom of TLS could help making this transition a little bit less painful. Sooooo, to those of you who have gone through this process, what do you wish you would have known before you went into your first interview? What is the best tip you have every received? Thank you so much to anyone who contributes.

r6_philly

Re: What I wish I would have known going into my first OCI...

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:57 pm

alicrimson wrote:Hello everyone,

I, like many ickle 1Ls, are about to embark on the fabulous journey that is first year spring OCI interviews. I was hoping that the wisdom of TLS could help making this transition a little bit less painful. Sooooo, to those of you who have gone through this process, what do you wish you would have known before you went into your first interview? What is the best tip you have every received? Thank you so much to anyone who contributes.

There are many nice threads with a lot of good info by searching. Although I think those advice may not help the same way for spring OCI because there are just so few spots. But you should still peruse and pick up useful bits.

mountaintime

Postby mountaintime » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:54 am

the best tip i have to offer is that you better not rely on 1L OCI to find an internship unless you are in the very top of your class. OCI is really where the grade competition is most fierce because you're competing with your entire class. if your grades aren't at the very top, you're probably better off finding your own opportunities.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:40 am

mountaintime wrote:the best tip i have to offer is that you better not rely on 1L OCI to find an internship unless you are in the very top of your class. OCI is really where the grade competition is most fierce because you're competing with your entire class. if your grades aren't at the very top, you're probably better off finding your own opportunities.

what's the very top? Do you think top 8% at a t14 will do the trick?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
mountaintime wrote:the best tip i have to offer is that you better not rely on 1L OCI to find an internship unless you are in the very top of your class. OCI is really where the grade competition is most fierce because you're competing with your entire class. if your grades aren't at the very top, you're probably better off finding your own opportunities.

No. At least not unless the "typical" 1L jobs are at your OCI. If you're talking about firms, absolutely not. When I was a 1L, most of the firms "recruiting" 1Ls didn't take anyone from my school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:14 am

i wish i wouldve known i wasnt going to get a job. then i would have saved a shitload of time applying to 300 firms, going on 15 OCIs and 8 callbacks.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:20 am

most people who get jobs don't wish they knew anything really, they're just happy to be through it.

people who don't get jobs often wish they had practiced interviewing more.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:28 am

That however much you're doing, someone else is doing more and if you really want it, you'll match and exceed them.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:31 am

IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

No. At least not unless the "typical" 1L jobs are at your OCI. If you're talking about firms, absolutely not. When I was a 1L, most of the firms "recruiting" 1Ls didn't take anyone from my school.

So credited. They are usually taking 1-2 people max and are interviewing at a whole host of schools. I was top 15% at a T20 and didn't even get an interview. Obviously 8% at a T14 is better and maybe you'll snag a few interviews, but odds are still low against you getting a job absent WE, IP, URM status, or a stellar undergrad. I also found that luck was a huge factor. A lot of people with tip top grades got nothing, while a few people lower down the ladder (below me) got jobs. You really have to have the total package plus a great personality that makes them say "Wow... we really need this person."

So I guess my best advice is: do your best and get some good practice in, but you better be doing other stuff to actually get a job.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:i wish i wouldve known i wasnt going to get a job. then i would have saved a shitload of time applying to 300 firms, going on 15 OCIs and 8 callbacks.

Sorry :(

I am curious about your experience, maybe you could elaborate? Did 2L turn out better? Did you get all 8 callbacks from OCI? Why do you think you didn't get event one offer? Thanks.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:55 am

as others have said, don't expect anything meaningful to come out of Spring 1L OCI

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:11 pm

1L OCI = practice

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:20 pm

Grizz wrote:1L OCI = practice

You are right about that. I can't believe not everyone want to participate, especially people with little interview experience. Mock interviews may be too forgiving.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:23 pm

IAFG wrote:No. At least not unless the "typical" 1L jobs are at your OCI. If you're talking about firms, absolutely not. When I was a 1L, most of the firms "recruiting" 1Ls didn't take anyone from my school.

1L OCI seemed more worthless than I expected (and my expectations were already pretty low).

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:24 pm

bk1 wrote:
IAFG wrote:No. At least not unless the "typical" 1L jobs are at your OCI. If you're talking about firms, absolutely not. When I was a 1L, most of the firms "recruiting" 1Ls didn't take anyone from my school.

1L OCI seemed more worthless than I expected (and my expectations were already pretty low).

Are you kidding? I've got two screening interviews with firms that will definitely end up not hiring me for my 1L summer. I'm rich with opportunity!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:27 pm

r6_philly wrote:

You are right about that. I can't believe not everyone want to participate, especially people with little interview experience. Mock interviews may be too forgiving.

Yeah everyone should do it, no question. I had 5 screening interviews and a CB out of it. Helped me be MUCH less nervous at subsequent screeners and CBs once you get those first ones out of the way.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:28 pm

Grizz wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Yeah everyone should do it, no question. I had 5 screening interviews and a CB out of it. Helped me be MUCH less nervous at subsequent screeners and CBs once you get those first ones out of the way.

Sounds extremely beta. If you want to be an ALPHA applicant you walk into the room and immediately start interviewing the firm rep, then end with "I'll let you know my decision in a few weeks."

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:30 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Are you kidding? I've got two screening interviews with firms that will definitely end up not hiring me for my 1L summer. I'm rich with opportunity!

I get the feeling that the firm selection at NU is worse than other schools. We only had 3 Chicago firms (all of which were under 30 people and 2 of which weren't even NALP firms).

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:31 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Grizz wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Sounds extremely beta. If you want to be an ALPHA applicant you walk into the room and immediately start interviewing the firm rep, then end with "I'll let you know my decision in a few weeks."

Now I prefer to shout "Big swingin dick, comin through!" when I walk in the room, and then offer to show it to em.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:31 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Sounds extremely beta. If you want to be an ALPHA applicant you walk into the room and immediately start interviewing the firm rep, then end with "I'll let you know my decision in a few weeks."

So in Communist Russia, applicant interviews you?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:33 pm

bk1 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Are you kidding? I've got two screening interviews with firms that will definitely end up not hiring me for my 1L summer. I'm rich with opportunity!

I get the feeling that the firm selection at NU is worse than other schools. We only had 3 Chicago firms (all of which were under 30 people and 2 of which weren't even NALP firms).

It's not that bad down South, due to a greater propensity of those firms for hiring 1Ls (every Birmingham firm does, a few in MS, TN, GA, VA, etc.). But for about 95% of the people (those without stellar grades or ties to those usually small, insular markets), it's only worthwhile as practice.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:34 pm

Grizz wrote:
bk1 wrote:

It's not that bad down South, due to a greater propensity of those firms for hiring 1Ls (every Birmingham firm does, a few in MS, TN, GA, VA, etc.). But for about 95% of the people (those without stellar grades or ties to those usually small, insular markets), it's only worthwhile as practice.

So 1L OCI is like a 5.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:35 pm

Grizz wrote:It's not that bad down South, due to a greater propensity of those firms for hiring 1Ls (every Birmingham firm does, a few in MS, TN, GA, VA, etc.). But for about 95% of the people (those without stellar grades or ties to those usually small, insular markets), it's only worthwhile as practice.

Ah that makes sense. I haven't talked to anyone who got more than 1 screener here, getting 5 would be unheard of (granted we only had like 7-8 firms total with half of them being in smaller midwest cities).

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:39 pm

Grizz wrote:It's not that bad down South

The South is a dump.

Oh we're talking about firm hiring? My bad, carry on then.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:47 pm

bk1 wrote:
Grizz wrote:It's not that bad down South, due to a greater propensity of those firms for hiring 1Ls (every Birmingham firm does, a few in MS, TN, GA, VA, etc.). But for about 95% of the people (those without stellar grades or ties to those usually small, insular markets), it's only worthwhile as practice.

Ah that makes sense. I haven't talked to anyone who got more than 1 screener here, getting 5 would be unheard of (granted we only had like 7-8 firms total with half of them being in smaller midwest cities).

I lucked into 4. I don't think we pre-screen.

Return to “Legal Employment”