Roughly median at P -- Should I drop out?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Brassica7

Re: Roughly median at P -- Should I drop out?

Postby Brassica7 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:31 am

koalatriste wrote:the poster who said "yes" is an absolute idiot.

I think that "yes" was the OP stating that he meant "University of Pennsylvania" when he wrote "P".

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:39 am

r6_philly wrote:49 clerks (I assume mostly/majority AIII)

Penn is not placing almost a quarter of its class into AIII clerkships. More like 10%-15%, someone can go look up the AIII clerkship data from the USNWR premium data

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:42 am

Is this a joke? No way. Stick with it. Your odds of getting a market paying job are very good right now. Better than a coin flip. If your grades tank, maybe consider dropping, but no way you should be at this point right now.

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:57 am

If you went to a school at sticker, planning on dropping out if you didn't get top 1/3...well gosh, that's just one of the worst investments I've ever heard. Buy lottery tickets much?

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:28 am

soccerfreak wrote:If you went to a school at sticker, planning on dropping out if you didn't get top 1/3...well gosh, that's just one of the worst investments I've ever heard. Buy lottery tickets much?

You are right, a lot of people shouldn't go. But once they
are in school, they should be able to do the smart thing and drop out. If they aren't going to be able to repay their law school loans, they should leave before they get further behind. It isn't that complicated.

I would be interested in finding out how median at Penn did at OCI. I don't think op should drop out yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:56 am

Median @ MVP and received 8 V100 offers. You're fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:51 am

At about a 3.25 at P (don't know if that is median or slightly below) and will be working at a V100. Also, I know everyone will say this means nothing, I know a few people with below median grades who got V100 and are not URMs, etc.

iamrobk

Postby iamrobk » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:38 am

Grizz wrote:

Penn is not placing almost a quarter of its class into AIII clerkships. More like 10%-15%, someone can go look up the AIII clerkship data from the USNWR premium data

http://www.law.upenn.edu/cpp/prospectiv ... stics.html
They have pretty detailed clerkship data on there, though I don't know how to tell which are A3 and which aren't.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Median @ MVP and received 8 V100 offers. You're fine.

Median @ M and unemployed for six months and now working at Walmart. You're fine.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Median @ M and unemployed for six months and now working at Walmart. You're fine.

I don't mean to offend at all: but if you are working at Walmart with a BA/BS, you need to do focus on professional development and other skills. Because you should be working at least a professional type job.

You can teach paralegal/CJ with a JD at community colleges and get tenure. Walmart/Starbucks are usually referred to as jokes, if you are really working at one, it isn't your grades sacking you.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:53 pm

iamrobk wrote:
Grizz wrote:

http://www.law.upenn.edu/cpp/prospectiv ... stics.html
They have pretty detailed clerkship data on there, though I don't know how to tell which are A3 and which aren't.

I think Penn is placing around 10-12% AIII clerkships. I know a couple of people from the c/o 2010, and I understand there were several people who ended up getting no-offered from their summer jobs, or getting offers deferred/rescinded due to the meltdown, and ended up taking non-AIII clerkships as a result. So of the 49, it's probably around 30 AIII clerks, and the rest in the latter category.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:56 pm

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... s-rankings

It's not behind a paywall and Penn was at 10.4% in 2009.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Don't mean to make light of your situation, but if this is true then it wasn't your grades. I find it hard to believe that a median student at M couldn't find a legal job of any sort, and that the best job you could get at all was at freakin' Walmart.

Return to “Legal Employment”