going through background check with a tattoo?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
target

going through background check with a tattoo?

Postby target » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:04 pm

I have a moderate sized tattoo on my back, which is definitely not visible unless I take my shirt off. However, I am going through a background check process for a government intern position, and it asks for any distinguishable marks such as scars or tattoos. Does anyone know if having a tattoo would affect my application?

Have a clean record besides couple traffic tickets. Thanks in advance.

Geist13

Re: going through background check with a tattoo?

Postby Geist13 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:10 pm

First, I only read the first line and was so close to replying "Um, I don't think you understand what a BACKground check means."

Second, I don't have an answer to the question. But you shouldn't lie, so just tell the truth and see what happens. It does seem like a really odd question. I mean if it's going to be an issue they'd be able to spot it when you come in for an interview; if they can't spot it then it shouldn't be an issue. Also, the fact that they include large scars as one of the things they're worried about is really weird. I mean I get the tattoo (it's a little silly for an internship, but I get it). But scars? Is the government now screening unpaid summer interns for attractiveness?

catwomangirl

Postby catwomangirl » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:11 pm

Ohohoh I watch CSI!

I would guess it's to rule out you being a convicted whatever masquerading as someone else.

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:19 pm

target wrote:I have a moderate sized tattoo on my back, which is definitely not visible unless I take my shirt off. However, I am going through a background check process for a government intern position, and it asks for any distinguishable marks such as scars or tattoos. Does anyone know if having a tattoo would affect my application?

Have a clean record besides couple traffic tickets. Thanks in advance.

No, it shouldn't affect your application. The only reason they ask that question is so they can identify potential gang members. Unless you got your back tattoo while you were in juvie and the head of your cell block's chapter of the Latin Kings, I think you're ok.

target

Postby target » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:51 pm

Thanks. I will disclose. I just want to make sure what the purpose of that question and be prepared in case they ask.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:13 pm

I went through a gov't bckg check with 2 tattoos, which I disclosed. Nothing ever came up about them.

Return to “Legal Employment”