Resume question regarding GPA drop.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Resume question regarding GPA drop.

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:17 pm

Firm I will be at this summer has asked for an updated resume. The past resume I sent them has my GPA and my class standing. However my grades. Have dropped pretty significantly by. 2 points. Would it be weird to not put my new GPA on the new resume? Would this raise A Red Flag?

Morgan12Oak

Re: Resume question regarding GPA drop.

Postby Morgan12Oak » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:26 pm

Your firm asked for an updated resume? I've never heard of that, are you sure they didn't just mean grades

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:59 pm

My firm did this as well, full resume and not grades. It was over break though so I didn't have any grades yet and just left them the same GPA/ranking on my resume as the one I gave them for OCI. (GPA stayed about the same anyways.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:12 pm

My firm also asked for an updated resume, and they are going to directly request a transcript from my school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:49 pm

OP here. So is it okay to not include grades?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:36 pm

out these firms.

Agent

Postby Agent » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:14 pm

koalatriste wrote:out these firms.

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 am

I think if you old resume has the info you should put your new GPA on it...not only will it raise a red flag but it then looks like you're being deceitful. Did you get some substantive work experience in between OCI (assumedly) and January? I don't understand why they would ask for it unless you think they just want to see if you did an internship or something.

There's something to be said for them not asking directly for grades but what else could they be wanting to see? Esp. now that it's safe to say most schools have released grades.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:57 am

koalatriste wrote:out these firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:51 am

My firm asked for an updated resume, but only as part of a conflicts check form. It made it sound like they just wanted to know if you had done any legal work since OCI, not necessarily because they were checking on grades. I have same grade drop problem as OP, can I leave my new GPA off?

Agent

Postby Agent » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My firm asked for an updated resume, but only as part of a conflicts check form. It made it sound like they just wanted to know if you had done any legal work since OCI, not necessarily because they were checking on grades. I have same grade drop problem as OP, can I leave my new GPA off?

Assuming your old GPA is on the resume they have on file:

I'd use the new GPA because leaving it off (or using the old one) seems deceptive. If the firm is more interested in any legal work since OCI, then great. But if the firm is also interested in taking a look at your GPA, you might want to be upfront about it. If it makes you feel any better, see this. I hope everything works out for you.

Return to “Legal Employment”