3L Loyola Patent Fair Hiring?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L Loyola Patent Fair Hiring?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:20 pm

Hey all,

For IP folks out there familiar with the hiring environment for patent, I was wondering if anyone here has ever received any full-time firm offers from the Loyola Patent Fair as a 3L (or knows of anyone who has).

I'm a 2L with an offer to work at a small IP boutique this summer, but I might be looking to trade up to something with a more national reputation and in a different city (where I have ties).

Any advice on bidding strategy, approach to the fair or how to best complement the fair with a mass-mailing campaign would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully this could be a good resource for 3L fair attendees in the future and more generally for IP folks on the 3L job search.

Thanks guys

Anonymous User

Re: 3L Loyola Patent Fair Hiring?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:17 pm

Good idea on creating this. I am in the same situation. Curious to know how many firms typically choose to interview 3Ls. I am also interested in hearing who all has participated in the fair twice as a 2L and 3L, how many interviews they were pre-selected for both times, and what came out of patent fair.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:40 am

2L here also looking to attend this year(summer) so no direct evidence from me, but I have talked with a 3L on LR who said she went last year and got 5 interviews, 3 CB's but no offers they are looking for 3Ls...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:23 am

I am in the same situation as the OP. I attended PLIP this past summer, although the SA I found was not through PLIP. I spoke to a 3L at the fair who said that he was allowed to cast enough bids to apply to just about every office that he was interested in which was hiring 3Ls. He got 8 interviews in total, despite the fact that only a select group of firms chose to interview 3Ls to begin with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:27 am

For those 3Ls that you talked with...do you know their technical backgrounds? I forget, when do we find out which firms are taking 3Ls? Is this after we register or only once the bidding process is open?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:32 am

I believe that individual was an EE. I know another one that was Biology/BME. We'll find out which firms are accepting 3L applicants once bidding begins.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:33 pm

bumping for this year. I couldn't find a direct answer to my question, so I'll ask here. I'm a 2L with a SA gig lined up for this coming summer at IP firm (through my school's OCI, not PLIP). If I could, I would accept an offer for permanent work after graduation at this firm, so I'm not looking to trade up or anything. This is more to do with whether it's worth it to go, more as a "backup," seeing as I don't want to assume I'll automatically get an offer at the end of next summer, or if I just shouldn't bother going. I know there's been some general discussion about this topic.
Anyone who has done this care to share? I would imagine employers know where you're going if you're "taking days off" for a couple days during the dates of the fair, when they likely are sending recruiters themselves. Have people just straight up told their summer firms (which doesn't seem very wise)? Thanks.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:bumping for this year. I couldn't find a direct answer to my question, so I'll ask here. I'm a 2L with a SA gig lined up for this coming summer at IP firm (through my school's OCI, not PLIP). If I could, I would accept an offer for permanent work after graduation at this firm, so I'm not looking to trade up or anything. This is more to do with whether it's worth it to go, more as a "backup," seeing as I don't want to assume I'll automatically get an offer at the end of next summer, or if I just shouldn't bother going. I know there's been some general discussion about this topic.
Anyone who has done this care to share? I would imagine employers know where you're going if you're "taking days off" for a couple days during the dates of the fair, when they likely are sending recruiters themselves. Have people just straight up told their summer firms (which doesn't seem very wise)? Thanks.

I know people who did PLIP even with a 2L SA. Those people, however, finished their SA program before PLIP, so it wasn't such a big deal to sign up and/or go to it. I couldn't imagine an SA the firm they're going to miss days for PLIP and expect them not to bring that up in deciding whether to give such an SA a full time offer.

Basically, best decision (I think this has been rehashed in earlier threads, too), is to work your ass off over the summer. If your program ends before PLIP, go ahead and register/bid (but not on your firm!) as a backup. Etc.

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:47 pm

I'm also a rising 3L considering the fair. Do any of these employers look for patent prosecution only? My grades are pretty bad, so I don't imagine they will want me to do their litigation work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:01 pm

Another rising 3L. Any information about non-prosecution possibilities? I'm eligible for PTO but prefer other IP work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:13 pm

bump. just posted in the Loyola Patent for 2012, but figured this thread's title would attract the targeted audience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:36 am

3Ls: How are you doing out there?! Any success in getting CBs? Any dings yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:3Ls: How are you doing out there?! Any success in getting CBs? Any dings yet?

Got 2 CBs. Haven't heard from the other 7 firms, but I haven't gotten my mail in a week since I was on vacay.

ehshornet

Postby ehshornet » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:07 am

I am also a 3L with 2 CBs as well. Wonder if they are from the same places. Feel free to send me a PM!

Return to “Legal Employment”