What kind of chance do I have at 1L paid gig?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What kind of chance do I have at 1L paid gig?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:39 pm

3.93 first semester at T20 school in DC... but no real work experience previously. Will grades actually help me that much? Thanks in advance.

bk1

Re: What kind of chance do I have at 1L paid gig?

Postby bk1 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:T20 school in DC

You know, you could just say GW.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:56 pm

Have you applied already? If not you're pretty late to the game. Does GW have a 1L OCI? You might be competitive there since you're probably in the top 5%, but grades are not everything in 1L hiring.

ETA: if you're any sort of minority (Asian, Latino, AA, NA, GLBT) then you will have a much better shot because of diversity programs.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:06 pm

bdubs wrote:ETA: if you're any sort of minority (Asian, Latino, AA, NA, GLBT) then you will have a much better shot because of diversity programs.

I believe many of the deadlines for 1L diversity SA's have passed.

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:19 pm

bk1 wrote:
bdubs wrote:ETA: if you're any sort of minority (Asian, Latino, AA, NA, GLBT) then you will have a much better shot because of diversity programs.

yea, but if someone is diverse and applying to normal non-diversity firm jobs couldn't diversity still help there?

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:04 pm

dabomb75 wrote:
bk1 wrote:

yea, but if someone is diverse and applying to normal non-diversity firm jobs couldn't diversity still help there?

Eh, I wouldnt count on it... just my experience though. If a diverse candidate and a non-diverse candidate have the exact same resume, then maybe. But that assumes that the hiring partner is genuinely interested in diversity.

Return to “Legal Employment”