Top 5% vs. Top 10% at graduation

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 5% vs. Top 10% at graduation

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:49 pm

I'm a second semester 3L with a firm job lined up. I do not plan to clerk. Based on last semester's grades, I am just outside the top 5% of the class. My question is this: is there any benefit to graduating in the top 5% vs. the top 10% of the class, given no desire to clerk? For us, top 10% adds the standard magna and coif to the transcript, but top 5% doesn't add anything. I'm just struggling to decide what classes to take (i.e., whether it's worth it to take all P/F classes or if I should bother to take one or two graded classes and go for it).

romothesavior

Re: Top 5% vs. Top 10% at graduation

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:51 pm

Slack off, drink beer, go work at your firm, ???, profit.

(Note: this is my gameplan and I'm only a 2L and I do want to clerk. I imagine this plan will work even better for you).

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:20 pm

less tls / thinking more drinking / SHOTTTSSS

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:23 pm

I will say that I've gotten many "summa? Wow." comments. If summa's in reach, you might want to gun for it. Otherwise, have fun not remembering anything about 3L!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I will say that I've gotten many "summa? Wow." comments. If summa's in reach, you might want to gun for it. Otherwise, have fun not remembering anything about 3L!

OP here. Summa is higher than top 5% here, so it's 100% out of reach. Is there really then no reason to go for top 5%? I feel like you guys are right, it just goes against the "grades are everything all the time" mentality that's been burned into my head from 20 years of schooling.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I will say that I've gotten many "summa? Wow." comments. If summa's in reach, you might want to gun for it. Otherwise, have fun not remembering anything about 3L!

OP here. Summa is higher than top 5% here, so it's 100% out of reach. Is there really then no reason to go for top 5%? I feel like you guys are right, it just goes against the "grades are everything all the time" mentality that's been burned into my head from 20 years of schooling.

You might as well start unlearning that bullshit that's burned into your head, then. The real world will not treat that proposition kindly.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:44 am

BeenDidThat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You might as well start unlearning that bullshit that's burned into your head, then. The real world will not treat that proposition kindly.

You sound mad. 0L?

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:53 am

blsingindisguise wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You sound mad. 0L?

Nah, I'm in law school and I have a job. I don't mince my words for the ultrasensitive. Ta-ta.

Return to “Legal Employment”