Applying to judicial internships? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Applying to judicial internships?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:18 pm

I know I'm a little late in applying (did not initially plan on applying to judges but career counselor advised me to do so late last week) and this is kind of a stupid question but what application materials should I send to the judges I am applying to besides my cover letter and resume? I'm a 1L.

Are transcripts, references necessary to send with the application? What about the size of envelope, is a regular size envelope okay?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adonai

Silver

Re: Applying to clerkships?

Post by adonai » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:24 pm

I'm assuming you meant internship/externship. Clerkships are post-grad. I would send all materials at once since it is later in the game and you don't want to waste any time. Writing sample will probably be important to send as well. Since that may be a lot of paper, I'd recommend putting it all in a large envelope.

Shooter77

New

Re: Applying to judicial internships?

Post by Shooter77 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:44 pm

According to my CDO
1. signed cover letter (on resume paper)
2. resume (on resume paper)
3. writing sample
4. transcript
all in big envelope w/ a metal clasp

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:56 pm

Alright thanks both. Is the writing sample absolutely required? I seem to recall my CDO said I should bring it to interviews or produce it upon request.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:38 pm

Shooter77 wrote:According to my CDO
1. signed cover letter (on resume paper)
2. resume (on resume paper)
3. writing sample
4. transcript
all in big envelope w/ a metal clasp
Resume paper doesn't matter. They were all looks at copies or scans n every interview I've been on. At the least, buy business paper as its he same weight and half the price. I didn't send writing samples, just supplied it on request by email...much simpler.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Alright thanks both. Is the writing sample absolutely required? I seem to recall my CDO said I should bring it to interviews or produce it upon request.
I would provide it just to avoid the necessary downtime for them to request and you mailing to them etc. (which can be at least a few extra days). If they have all the materials before them, they can just go straight to deciding whether to interview you or not. Depending on how urgent the circumstances are, I suggest you do this as it makes life just a bit more simple.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:26 am

Call the judges Chambers directly and ask what materials they would like from you. Every judge is different. One judge I applied to wanted the materials mailed in and he wanted resume paper to be used. Another judge wanted just a resume and a writing sample emailed.

Good luck.

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:55 am

Just a transcript. No one has the time to read intern applicants' writing samples.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:29 pm

I just did resume and cover letter, but that's because I didn't have grades yet when I applied. I would include a transcript if you have one, but I would not include a writing sample unless specifically requested.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:18 am

I included resume, cover letter, references, writing sample and grade sheet. When I got to my interview they had read everything, highlighted it, and asked me about specific things in my writing sample. There was nothing listed on the website, so I just sent everything. I'm happy I sent it all because it cut down a lot of time in between sending in my app and getting an interview, and it helped a lot with conversation.

jd-mba

Bronze

Post by jd-mba » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:07 am

ilovesf wrote:I included resume, cover letter, references, writing sample and grade sheet. When I got to my interview they had read everything, highlighted it, and asked me about specific things in my writing sample. There was nothing listed on the website, so I just sent everything. I'm happy I sent it all because it cut down a lot of time in between sending in my app and getting an interview, and it helped a lot with conversation.
i would agree. i sent all the above as well. cuts back on postage and having to wait for them to request more material etc. and just jump to scheduling interview, if they wanted me that is... they all said they enjoyed my writing sample, so fwiw, i think judges like to see your writing sample (assuming you're a strong writer).

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:43 pm

traydeuce wrote:Just a transcript. No one has the time to read intern applicants' writing samples.
False.

cantaboot

Bronze

Post by cantaboot » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:00 pm

the judge who hired me read my writing sample from the LRW class. at the interview she asked me, 'well, this is a really horrible story - is it a real story?!"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:16 pm

My judge had a marked-up copy of my writing sample in my interview. She had also unknowingly hired another student with the same LRW prof the year before. So yes, writing sample can matter.

target

Silver

Post by target » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:45 pm

gdane wrote:Call the judges Chambers directly and ask what materials they would like from you. Every judge is different. One judge I applied to wanted the materials mailed in and he wanted resume paper to be used. Another judge wanted just a resume and a writing sample emailed.

Good luck.
I agree with this. Court the judges' chamber or visit their website if they have one to see what they require.

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:28 pm

wiseowl wrote:
traydeuce wrote:Just a transcript. No one has the time to read intern applicants' writing samples.
False.
okay, 95% of clerks/judges don't have the time

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”