Working part time for Firm you summered at as a 3L

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Working part time for Firm you summered at as a 3L

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:25 pm

For all of you who summered at a firm, particularly in NY, have you ever heard or know of any firm who allows those they made offers to work part time during their 3rd year? I am a student in a NY school summering for a NY v-30, and assuming I get an offer after the summer, it would be amazing if I can work part time during my 3L.

I know the answer to this question differs from firm to firm, but I wonder if firms generally do or do not do this.

sjedood
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:06 pm

Re: Working part time for Firm you summered at as a 3L

Postby sjedood » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:32 pm

interested in this as well...

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Working part time for Firm you summered at as a 3L

Postby MrAnon » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:36 pm

1. Search function

2. Don't do it. It cannot help you in any way. It can only hurt you, though it likely will not, but it will instead just become an inconvience. Think about it. Are you going to work there every day? No. Will you work there four days a week? That's a stretch. Three days a week? Okay probably at best. More likely two days. What exactly will you accomplish in 15 hour weeks? Plus you will want to stop doing it as soon as exams are on the horizon, about 8 weeks into the semester really. I've seen people try to do it. It doesn't work well. At this point you don't even know what your summer work entails. What if they love you and want to put a big substantive project in your lap in the fall? You're going to juggle that with school and journal? Deal with one thing at a time.
Last edited by MrAnon on Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Working part time for Firm you summered at as a 3L

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:37 pm

MrAnon wrote:1. Search function

2. Don't do it. It cannot help you in any way. It can only hurt you, though it likely will not, but it will instead just become an inconvience. Think about it. Are you going to work there every day? No. Will you work there four days a week? That's a stretch. Three days a week? Okay probably at best. More likely two days. What exactly will you accomplish in 15 hour weeks? Plus you will want to stop doing it as soon as exams are on the horizon, about 8 weeks into the semester really. I've seen people try to do it. It doesn't work well.

As 3Ls? Honestly I think you're pretty off-base here. 3Ls got shit else to do. I know several people who worked doing 3L and it only caused them problems to the extent that mo' money => mo' problems

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Working part time for Firm you summered at as a 3L

Postby MrAnon » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
MrAnon wrote:1. Search function

2. Don't do it. It cannot help you in any way. It can only hurt you, though it likely will not, but it will instead just become an inconvience. Think about it. Are you going to work there every day? No. Will you work there four days a week? That's a stretch. Three days a week? Okay probably at best. More likely two days. What exactly will you accomplish in 15 hour weeks? Plus you will want to stop doing it as soon as exams are on the horizon, about 8 weeks into the semester really. I've seen people try to do it. It doesn't work well.

As 3Ls? Honestly I think you're pretty off-base here. 3Ls got shit else to do. I know several people who worked doing 3L and it only caused them problems to the extent that mo' money => mo' problems


You don't seem to know too much about it, otherwise you wouldn't be on here asking. I have been on the firm side and seen it. The people are there a few days a week for half days, then they are there less, then you don't know when they are coming in, then suddenly its exam time.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Working part time for Firm you summered at as a 3L

Postby IAFG » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:41 pm

MrAnon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
MrAnon wrote:1. Search function

2. Don't do it. It cannot help you in any way. It can only hurt you, though it likely will not, but it will instead just become an inconvience. Think about it. Are you going to work there every day? No. Will you work there four days a week? That's a stretch. Three days a week? Okay probably at best. More likely two days. What exactly will you accomplish in 15 hour weeks? Plus you will want to stop doing it as soon as exams are on the horizon, about 8 weeks into the semester really. I've seen people try to do it. It doesn't work well.

As 3Ls? Honestly I think you're pretty off-base here. 3Ls got shit else to do. I know several people who worked doing 3L and it only caused them problems to the extent that mo' money => mo' problems


You don't seem to know too much about it, otherwise you wouldn't be on here asking. I have been on the firm side and seen it. The people are there a few days a week for half days, then they are there less, then you don't know when they are coming in, then suddenly its exam time.

I'm sorry, the quoted AU was me, not OP, and I didn't mean to AU it. I haven't done it myself, but I know several people who have done it or are doing it and it's not hurting them at all. But then, at my school, most 3Ls aren't exactly grinding away at exam prep (or anything else).

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Working part time for Firm you summered at as a 3L

Postby MrAnon » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:46 pm

Just one followup I have is that before the economy got bad I was at a firm that allowed it. That's where I saw what I saw. Those were CLS/NYU students. after the economy got bad I was at a different firm that wouldn't allow it, but formerly allowed it. My guess is they just didn't want to pay for it. Both were V50.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Working part time for Firm you summered at as a 3L

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:56 pm

OP -- Mr. Anon, I am confused with you saying, "it can only hurt you." Making money would be great, and doing it at the firm in which I will be full time when I graduate will only give me more exposure there. I hear what you're saying regarding the workload, but as a 2L I don't find the work that demanding, and I don't intend on running for any journal board positions.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Working part time for Firm you summered at as a 3L

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:01 pm

I wouldn't bother working part time in biglaw as a 3L. Take it easy and enjoy one more year before being burned out. As others have said, there's not much benefit to it. Sure you make some money, but it's not enough for the trouble if you're already guaranteed a job after graduation.

I believe this practice is more common in lower ranked biglaw firms, but I'm not sure.

In higher paying areas outside of biglaw, this practice is extremely common in patent boutique firms, and almost expected in many firms, but this is the exception because 3Ls in patent law with the Patent Agent registration are specialized enough to do substantive work. I work part time as a 3L in patent law, but only because this is common in this particular practice area.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Working part time for Firm you summered at as a 3L

Postby dood » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP -- Mr. Anon, I am confused with you saying, "it can only hurt you." Making money would be great, and doing it at the firm in which I will be full time when I graduate will only give me more exposure there. I hear what you're saying regarding the workload, but as a 2L I don't find the work that demanding, and I don't intend on running for any journal board positions.



i agree 100% with mr. anon. why would u turn a 10 week interview into a 8 months interview?

and bro, enjoy $50/hr, worker bee. this is last year of your LIFE (think about this carefully), that u get to stay up to 4am, black out drinking 5 nights a week, not giving a fuck, and living it up. for example, i played MW3 for 20 hours straight from wed night till thurs then went shopping and then 5 guys, and then the gym, and then bar review, why? because i aint got shit else to do. freedom is priceless, bro.

EDIT: and the other day i read a novel solely for pleasure, u think u'll have time to do that when u'r slaving away 70 hrs a week at Slum, Lord, & Moore LLP?

EDIT 2: ok i admit it was a magazine, but u get the point

2LLLL
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: Working part time for Firm you summered at as a 3L

Postby 2LLLL » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:15 pm

I've been doing this, and I've found it to be really enjoyable. I've had no problems with my schedule stopping me from being able to take on substantive projects. Plus, it was nice being able to not take out a single loan for my 3L year because of the money I made during the summer and am continuing to make. As far as an 8 month job interview, I got my offer in late September like everyone else, and just kept working. It's not like 3L year is particularly strenuous. Of course I've had to tell people I can't do their projects, or at least the whole project, but people understand that you're only in for 15 hours a week.

I guess that, especially w/r/t dood's comment, it depends on why you went to law school. I worked for several years between college and law school, and didn't go to law school so that I could play MW3 for 20 hours straight.

From what I've seen, however, this practice is most prevalent at midsize and small firms, I don't think that a V30 would typically do it.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Working part time for Firm you summered at as a 3L

Postby dood » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:48 pm

2LLLL wrote:I guess that, especially w/r/t dood's comment, it depends on why you went to law school. I worked for several years between college and law school, and didn't go to law school so that I could play MW3 for 20 hours straight.


ok to be fair, i also worked for several years between and hated work (i did super high stress, high hours shit). i went to law school to hang out and take it easy, thus not really looking forward to rejoining the workforce.

but each to their own, i see ur POV and respect it.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Working part time for Firm you summered at as a 3L

Postby sundance95 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:01 am

Since OP's already got a jerb locked down, grades matter less and so it seems pretty smart to eliminate 1/3 of the debt he would have otherwise had to take out for law school by working.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Working part time for Firm you summered at as a 3L

Postby MrAnon » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP -- Mr. Anon, I am confused with you saying, "it can only hurt you." Making money would be great, and doing it at the firm in which I will be full time when I graduate will only give me more exposure there. I hear what you're saying regarding the workload, but as a 2L I don't find the work that demanding, and I don't intend on running for any journal board positions.


When I say it can only hurt you, I mean that by not working as a 3L no one will question you for just going back to school like everyone else in your summer class. thats the conservative path to take. By working,there is a chance you could fuck something up in your writing or research, and you will most certainly have to turn down work at some point during the school year because of other responsibilities. Everything in that last sentence is a negative in the eyes of biglaw.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Working part time for Firm you summered at as a 3L

Postby MrAnon » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:08 am

2LLLL wrote:I've been doing this, and I've found it to be really enjoyable. I've had no problems with my schedule stopping me from being able to take on substantive projects. Plus, it was nice being able to not take out a single loan for my 3L year because of the money I made during the summer and am continuing to make. As far as an 8 month job interview, I got my offer in late September like everyone else, and just kept working. It's not like 3L year is particularly strenuous. Of course I've had to tell people I can't do their projects, or at least the whole project, but people understand that you're only in for 15 hours a week.

I guess that, especially w/r/t dood's comment, it depends on why you went to law school. I worked for several years between college and law school, and didn't go to law school so that I could play MW3 for 20 hours straight.

From what I've seen, however, this practice is most prevalent at midsize and small firms, I don't think that a V30 would typically do it.


You are able to live on 15 hours a weeks pay?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Working part time for Firm you summered at as a 3L

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:25 am

MrAnon wrote:
2LLLL wrote:I've been doing this, and I've found it to be really enjoyable. I've had no problems with my schedule stopping me from being able to take on substantive projects. Plus, it was nice being able to not take out a single loan for my 3L year because of the money I made during the summer and am continuing to make. As far as an 8 month job interview, I got my offer in late September like everyone else, and just kept working. It's not like 3L year is particularly strenuous. Of course I've had to tell people I can't do their projects, or at least the whole project, but people understand that you're only in for 15 hours a week.

I guess that, especially w/r/t dood's comment, it depends on why you went to law school. I worked for several years between college and law school, and didn't go to law school so that I could play MW3 for 20 hours straight.

From what I've seen, however, this practice is most prevalent at midsize and small firms, I don't think that a V30 would typically do it.


You are able to live on 15 hours a weeks pay?

The answer to this is likely no, but the benefit to working part time is not so you can have a complete sort of income, but so you can have extra cash on the side while not making any money in law school.

2LLLL
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: Working part time for Firm you summered at as a 3L

Postby 2LLLL » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:48 am

You are able to live on 15 hours a weeks pay?


At $57 per hour that covers my living expenses quite nicely.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Working part time for Firm you summered at as a 3L

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:40 pm

I had a friend who did this, working three days a week for a pro-rated salary. He pulled in another 35K on top of his 30K summer pay. He was a hard science Ph.D working for a boutique IP firm, though.

I expect this would be harder to swing for traditional corp/lit practices in biglaw firms, because your value as a junior is going to be based on your ability to churn hours and be available 24/7, both things you are unable to do when your time is constrained by class and by those stupid ABA 20-hour/week work caps. My friend, for example, would end up working 40 hour weeks sometimes because he knew that his firm needed him to do projects that took a lot of time and were time-sensitive. If you at all care about your GPA (which you shouldn't as a 3L with an offer) it's probably not the best idea.

But i could see how someone would want to do this if you treat it like your full-time job and class as a part-time thing.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.