1L summer at small firm?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L summer at small firm?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:54 am

Thought I'd make my own topic.

I have a potential job lined up for my 1L summer working in a small law firm in NYC, where I definitely want to be this summer (yay!). However, I'm concerned about turning off OCI employers because the firm's specialty is insurance law, which is kind of looked down upon. I don't want to give myself an ick factor during OCI because of this, and I'm fairly certain I could get a clerkship in my hometown, where I dont want to be. 1st semester grades were above median at a T14. Any opinions appreciated!

MrAnon

Re: 1L summer at small firm?

Postby MrAnon » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:12 am

they won't care. they'd care if it was a plaintiffs firm.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:15 am

MrAnon wrote:they won't care. they'd care if it was a plaintiffs firm.

You think? (Srs Q)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:23 am

sundance95 wrote:
MrAnon wrote:they won't care. they'd care if it was a plaintiffs firm.

You think? (Srs Q)

you're sure? its not a plaintiffs firm, but i might want to do clerkships too (after graduation)..i just dont want to get a stink around my name. but this job is somewhere i'd get some actual firm experience, and paid, and in new york..am i overthinking?

gators88

Postby gators88 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:53 pm

There is absolutely no 1L job in the legal field that is going to put a stink on your name. The only thing I can think of that could have that effect is doing a cushy study abroad program 1L summer because it just makes you look like you made absolutely no effort to find a job.

Even a plaintiffs firm is not going to be looked down upon by large firms or clerkships. Particularly if you can speak thoughtfully and with intelligence about your experience during interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:49 pm

Take it. I did 1L summer at a two person firm and got a ton of awesome experience and it gave me a lot of stuff to talk about at oci. Worked out for me and I'm at a T20

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:54 pm

A friend of mine worked for most infamous plaintiffs attorney (dog bite commercials) in my market during 1L summer.... then got a V10 SA through OCI. I'm at a T2 where pretty much no one gets into this firm. I don't think working at a plaintiff's firm hurts. Understanding the procedural aspects of litigation, that you really only get by working at a firm, is a marketable skill.

While there are many differences between plaintiff and defense work, what clerks do will be much the same. Research and writing memos on narrow issues of law, drafting motions, petitions, pleadings.... The skills are transferable.

I understand you said it's not a plaintiff's firm... I think you should take it either way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A friend of mine worked for most infamous plaintiffs attorney (dog bite commercials) in my market during 1L summer.... then got a V10 SA through OCI. I'm at a T2 where pretty much no one gets into this firm. I don't think working at a plaintiff's firm hurts. Understanding the procedural aspects of litigation, that you really only get by working at a firm, is a marketable skill.

While there are many differences between plaintiff and defense work, what clerks do will be much the same. Research and writing memos on narrow issues of law, drafting motions, petitions, pleadings.... The skills are transferable.

I understand you said it's not a plaintiff's firm... I think you should take it either way.

thanks for all the reassurances! i think i will take it.

Return to “Legal Employment”