V10 First Year Associate Taking Questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: V10 First Year Associate Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:14 pm

ph14 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ph14 wrote:Short term/Long term plans and/or goals?

To stay at the firm as long as I humanely can.

How long do you expect to? Do you expect to be forced out or lateral out somewhere of your own accord?

I don't want to be cocky, but I seriously think that I'm about as talented and competent enough to make it to the absolute last step before getting passed over for partnership (which is generally around senior associate), so I expect to last around 8 years before getting "pushed out." But general consensus is that I can stay put for a lot longer without being a partner. I don't actually know if I'd opt for that, so if something more lucrative and with a better work/life balance comes along then, I'd strongly consider it.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:16 pm

I asked this of a lot of the associates on callbacks, and got varying answers. Are there any courses you would recommend for 2Ls/3Ls for either lit or corp that would be beneficial to take?

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't want to be cocky, but I seriously think that I'm about as talented and competent enough to make it to the absolute last step before getting passed over for partnership (which is generally around senior associate).

Great, thread, ty, but I couldn't help loling at the optimistic pessimism of this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:18 pm

5ky wrote:I asked this of a lot of the associates on callbacks, and got varying answers. Are there any courses you would recommend for 2Ls/3Ls for either lit or corp that would be beneficial to take?

You're going to get varying answers because, really, nothing is necessary. That said...

Litigators:
Legal writing
Maybe securities regulation
Maybe evidence

Corp:
A solid corp course would be good but is not necessary
Maybe securities regulation, especially for capital markets work
a targeted course on M&A is also really helpful

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:20 pm

sundance95 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I don't want to be cocky, but I seriously think that I'm about as talented and competent enough to make it to the absolute last step before getting passed over for partnership (which is generally around senior associate).

Great, thread, ty, but I couldn't help loling at the optimistic pessimism of this.

It's not *that* optimistic. Before I started, I genuinely thought I'd get kicked out around year 3 (as TLSers often mention). But the amount of talent or competency required to last until senior associate isn't that high. And these days, with in-house counsel wanting more experience out of their lawyers, sticking around until your 8th year is no longer the deathtrap it used to be, though it's still not as good as the options you get as a midlevel.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sundance95 wrote:

It's not *that* optimistic. Before I started, I genuinely thought I'd get kicked out around year 3 (as TLSers often mention). But the amount of talent or competency required to last until senior associate isn't that high. And these days, with in-house counsel wanting more experience out of their lawyers, sticking around until your 8th year is no longer the deathtrap it used to be, though it's still not as good as the options you get as a midlevel.

can you expand on this point? what's the difference in options? what kind of things are open to you at those times?

also, did you clerk?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:25 pm

ph14 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
sundance95 wrote:

can you expand on this point? what's the difference in options? what kind of things are open to you at those times?

also, did you clerk?

Options are just more plentiful for midlevels. Other big law firms have more openings for midlevels than for seniors. Inhouse is always open, but the trend has been toward requiring more experiencing. Since those are the only two options I'd even remotely consider, thats all I've ever cared to learn about. I don't really know about government or public interest options, other than that I have many colleagues who have lateraled into very nice PI positions.

I did not clerk.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:28 pm

Alright guys, I really have to rest. But I'll definitely check back tomorrow. Good night!

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:Speaking of down time... how much do you have?

Except for the rare event, I usually get most weekends to myself. Haven't had to do super late nights, but I'm on track for north of 2600+ for the year.

So without weekends that's about 10 billable hrs/day, and you said you're in the office 10-12 hrs/day. Do you bill almost all of your time in the office (and is this common?) or do you end up billing some time at home?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:28 am

Someone mentioned this earlier that I think many of us are wondering: what does the hours worked to hours billed ratio look like for a 1st year?

TXIPLitigator

Postby TXIPLitigator » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Someone mentioned this earlier that I think many of us are wondering: what does the hours worked to hours billed ratio look like for a 1st year?

Not OP, but I'm a 1st year litigator. At work for ~12 hours/day. Bill anywhere from 10-12 of that. Efficiency depends on meetings, lunch (in/out/CLE/etc), and other random events. My monthly average is ~220 billed. No weekends in the office, but occasional work from home if something comes up (usually I'm told to wait until Monday, though).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:46 pm

TXIPLitigator wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Someone mentioned this earlier that I think many of us are wondering: what does the hours worked to hours billed ratio look like for a 1st year?

Not OP, but I'm a 1st year litigator. At work for ~12 hours/day. Bill anywhere from 10-12 of that. Efficiency depends on meetings, lunch (in/out/CLE/etc), and other random events. My monthly average is ~220 billed. No weekends in the office, but occasional work from home if something comes up (usually I'm told to wait until Monday, though).

Wow, no weekends? That goes against everything I've heard. Vault range/location?

How do you like your co-workers/bosses so far?

TXIPLitigator

Postby TXIPLitigator » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TXIPLitigator wrote:

Wow, no weekends? That goes against everything I've heard. Vault range/location?

Would rather not say V/specific location (name gives away a bit about location).

I enjoy my coworkers. Fairly social outside work. Everyone is humane. Most have families.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:08 pm

Since there appear to be a few litigators at high ranking Vault firms here, I've got a question for you. To what extent do you feel like your litigation department is just a support department for the corporate folks?

irie

Postby irie » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:38 am

Thanks for doing this!

You mentioned that you looked into exit opportunities as a midlevel v. senior associate. Could you talk a bit about which particular practice groups have an easier time going in-house than others? I guess I'm more interested in corporate work so maybe exit opportunities in M&A v. Capital Markets v. Tax. Also, if you feel comfortable, could you tell us which market you are in? I'm interested in NYC in particular but not sure if this really affects the answer to my questions above.

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:35 am

irie wrote:Thanks for doing this!

You mentioned that you looked into exit opportunities as a midlevel v. senior associate. Could you talk a bit about which particular practice groups have an easier time going in-house than others? I guess I'm more interested in corporate work so maybe exit opportunities in M&A v. Capital Markets v. Tax. Also, if you feel comfortable, could you tell us which market you are in? I'm interested in NYC in particular but not sure if this really affects the answer to my questions above.

Would rather not say V/specific location (name gives away a bit about location).

I'm Going to go out on a limb here and guess texas.

TXiplitigator

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:38 am

Davidbentley wrote:
irie wrote:Thanks for doing this!

TXiplitigator

Swing and a miss, try again.

(txiplitigator is not OP)

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:39 am

TXiplitigator

Why do people here always do this crap?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:46 am

goodolgil wrote:

TXiplitigator

Why do people here always do this crap?

??? txiplitigator specifically pointed out the fact he/she works in tx, but did not want to get more specific than that.

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:18 am

5ky wrote:
Swing and a miss, try again.

(txiplitigator is not OP)

well fail on me then.
:oops:

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:55 am

bdubs wrote:Since there appear to be a few litigators at high ranking Vault firms here, I've got a question for you. To what extent do you feel like your litigation department is just a support department for the corporate folks?

wut

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:26 am

Anything I should do as a summer associate to ensure I get an offer? Besides not fucking up royally, getting too drunk at social events, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:29 am

were your 2L grades taken into account when offers were being made? did you know anyone who get dinged b/c of 2L grades?

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:51 pm

romothesavior wrote:
bdubs wrote:Since there appear to be a few litigators at high ranking Vault firms here, I've got a question for you. To what extent do you feel like your litigation department is just a support department for the corporate folks?

wut

just lol'd.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TXIPLitigator wrote:

Somehow I just doubt this.

There are 52 weeks in a year, about 10 holidays, and 2 weeks vacation. That leaves 48 weeks. or 240 days. Even if you billed 10 hours every day (hard to do EVERY DAY)- that's only 2400 billiable hours. Either you are padding your billing, lying about working weekends, or lying about time at the gym or eating out. And- unless your significant other also is a young lawyer at a big law firm or a resident fresh out of law school- no SO would put up with your hours and think they were in a relationship. I'm not saying you can't do all those things- just saying you can't do them and bill a legitimate 2400-2600 hours.

Return to “Legal Employment”