V10 First Year Associate Taking Questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

V10 First Year Associate Taking Questions

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:05 pm

Have some down time to give back a community that has given so much to me. Let 'er rip.

ph14

Gold

Re: V10 First Year Associate Taking Questions

Post by ph14 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have some down time to give back a community that has given so much to me. Let 'er rip.
School range, class rank, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:09 pm

ph14 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have some down time to give back a community that has given so much to me. Let 'er rip.
School range, class rank, etc.
Obviously don't want to make things too specific. Let's just say top 10 law school and I was well above median after 1L year.

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:09 pm

Speaking of down time... how much do you have?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:12 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:Speaking of down time... how much do you have?
Except for the rare event, I usually get most weekends to myself. Haven't had to do super late nights, but I'm on track for north of 2600+ for the year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:17 pm

Best and worst aspects of the "life", so far?

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Except for the rare event, I usually get most weekends to myself. Haven't had to do super late nights, but I'm on track for north of 2600+ for the year.
Can you comment on expected efficiency of billables? What are some common tasks, and how many hours do you generally take to do them? Thx.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:23 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:Best and worst aspects of the "life", so far?
It's actually pretty sweet. I guess the worst aspect is that I generally don't have time to make my meals, which would save me money and be healthier, and I don't have time to consistently hit the gym. Best aspect? I've had maybe one night of doc review since I started (which was a while ago). I do pretty substantive work for the most part, but when a filing has to get done, you can bet that I'll be the one in the trenches. But that's just how it works.

My friends in corporate have it a lot worse. I spoke to someone last night who hasn't slept in days. He gets 40 emails or so while he sleeps. As a litigator, I've had a different experience. My time is very respected by the people above me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:26 pm

sundance95 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Can you comment on expected efficiency of billables? What are some common tasks, and how many hours do you generally take to do them? Thx.
I'm extremely efficient. That doesn't mean that it takes me little time to do things. It just means that I don't spend that much time putzing around. I like to leave the office at a respectable hour, so that incentivizes me to focus. It's hard to assign a general hours number to tasks that I do. Most of my daily tasks include writing and research.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm extremely efficient. That doesn't mean that it takes me little time to do things. It just means that I don't spend that much time putzing around. I like to leave the office at a respectable hour, so that incentivizes me to focus. It's hard to assign a general hours number to tasks that I do. Most of my daily tasks include writing and research.
So what time to you usually arrive/leave?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:32 pm

how did you get the job?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
So what time to you usually arrive/leave?
I try to get in at 10 and leave at 8-10.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:how did you get the job?
Early Interview Week. The way 99% of my colleagues also got their jobs...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:44 pm

How do you feel about the training and feedback you have received? Do senior associates take the time to go over things you have produced to help you learn and get better on a constant basis? Or do people get blindsided at official reviews?
Thanks.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:48 pm

Thanks for taking ?s. You might want to edit how you got your job (more general term) to something more general in the interest of anonymity.

question: you say you're on track for 2600+ hours. Where would you say this puts you in your class? Top quarter, middle, bottom quarter?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do you feel about the training and feedback you have received? Do senior associates take the time to go over things you have produced to help you learn and get better on a constant basis? Or do people get blindsided at official reviews?
Thanks.

Training has been incredible. It's one of the reasons I chose my firm. Feedback is a little weird. I've come to realize that so long as I don't hear anything bad about my work, my work is good. You can't expect compliments, and nobody really thinks to critique you unless you do really, really well or really, really poorly.

In terms of the senior associate mentoring, it's rarely a hierarchy. The associates and partners I work under are very hands-off. I can get guidance if I need it, but so long as I do a decent job, senior associates and partners don't really feel the need to critique you. I think the philosophy is that you're too early in your career to do an amazing job, and that so long as your work is passable, nothing more is needed. As you get more senior, the experience you build upon and training you receive will mold you.

That said, if there is something that needs to be corrected in my work product, the associate corrects it. They don't really approach it from a critiquing perspective.

Nobody I know gets blindsided at reviews. You usually have a very good idea if you're going to receive a career-damaging review. That said, this is my first-year, and I doubt it's easy to do extremely poorly or extremely well. As you progress, though, the bar for "competency" gets higher and higher. If you let that bar eclipse your development as an associate, you can consider that your 6 months notice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:55 pm

5ky wrote:Thanks for taking ?s. You might want to edit how you got your job (more general term) to something more general in the interest of anonymity.

question: you say you're on track for 2600+ hours. Where would you say this puts you in your class? Top quarter, middle, bottom quarter?
What are you talking about? OGI was great!

Given the work my peers are doing, I'd say I'm probably solidly in the middle, if not toward the higher end of middle.

I'm not worried about ranking at the bottom in terms of hours. As long as I bill above 2,400 hours at my firm, I know I'm in good standing regardless of how I compare to my peers (purely in terms of hours).

I say 2,400, but really you can be in good standing by billing fewer than 2,000. I'm just risk averse, but I haven't had much opportunity to curb my workload either haha.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:Best and worst aspects of the "life", so far?
It's actually pretty sweet. I guess the worst aspect is that I generally don't have time to make my meals, which would save me money and be healthier, and I don't have time to consistently hit the gym. Best aspect? I've had maybe one night of doc review since I started (which was a while ago). I do pretty substantive work for the most part, but when a filing has to get done, you can bet that I'll be the one in the trenches. But that's just how it works.

My friends in corporate have it a lot worse. I spoke to someone last night who hasn't slept in days. He gets 40 emails or so while he sleeps. As a litigator, I've had a different experience. My time is very respected by the people above me.
Since you don't make your own meals, is it mostly take out/junk food? Is working in biglaw going to be a problem for someone with a really restrictive diet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:59 pm

Alright guys, I really need to sleep a little. I'll check back in tomorrow to answer more questions. :D

monkey85

Bronze

Post by monkey85 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:00 pm

Vacations: are they a myth in the first year? what about second and third years?

Relationships: how are your colleagues with serious gfs/bfs or wives/husbands faring?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:02 pm

Since you don't make your own meals, is it mostly take out/junk food? Is working in biglaw going to be a problem for someone with a really restrictive diet?
I order out a lot, yes, but it's rarely fast food. When you don't make your meals, you have less control over what goes in it and you tend to consume larger portions. On top of that, your body still has to adjust to a much more sedentary lifestyle. Law school isn't sedentary. Working at a law firm is. It's absolutely essential that you save time for the gym and learn how to cook. Even if you can afford to eat out all the time, it doesn't make financial sense to do so.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:04 pm

Vacations: are they a myth in the first year? what about second and third years?
Depends on what you mean by "vacations." Did I take time off over Thanksgiving? Yes. Did I spend two weeks in Costa Rica? No. I think the two week vacation is best saved until after your first performance review. In terms of fitting it into your work schedule, it's very easy and very possible for litigators. It's possible for corporate attorneys as well, but you need to plan for it far further in advance and keep notifying your colleagues so that you're not staffed on any deals.
Relationships: how are your colleagues with serious gfs/bfs or wives/husbands faring?
They're all doing great. I'm in one myself. It's going great.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:08 pm

Short term/Long term plans and/or goals?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:09 pm

ph14 wrote:Short term/Long term plans and/or goals?
To stay at the firm as long as I humanely can.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ph14 wrote:Short term/Long term plans and/or goals?
To stay at the firm as long as I humanely can.
How long do you expect to? Do you expect to be forced out or lateral out somewhere of your own accord?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”