state dist. judges care about grades for 1L summ?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TheFutureLawyer

state dist. judges care about grades for 1L summ?

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:00 pm

So I sent out a bunch of applications to state district court judges just before grades came out (which were very bad in my case). This is in a big metro area. Anyone know how likely it is that they will ask for transcripts and then reject me pretty much just because of that?

BeautifulSW

Re: state dist. judges care about grades for 1L summ?

Postby BeautifulSW » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:56 am

I can answer only as to my experience in own state (N.Mex.) of course but down here, GPA doesn't count for much in public sector employment. It's very common knowledge that some schools are engaging in grade inflation while others are not.

So what we look for in selecting a summer clerk (and also for hiring regular law clerks and staff attorneys) is class rank. We look for top third. Class rank is more important, in fact, than school rank.

This is also the general rule when hiring lawyers for state and local government positions.

This is not to say that someone in the top half shouldn't bother applying but if higher-ranked applicants are available, the lower ranked candidate probably will not receive serious consideration.

If there are several applicants in the top third, the choice will probably be made, not by relative rankings or GPAs but but on the basis of individual courses taken. Believe it or not, if we are having a spate of real estate related cases, someone with a decent grade in advanced real estate (or whatever) will receive careful consideration. Short-sighted, I know, but there it is.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:12 am

I should add that how well one interviews matters a great deal but only after the applicant passes the top third test.

Yobot

Postby Yobot » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:24 pm

Was interviewed and offered positions by two state judges without one mention of grades. I also applied very early, which probably makes a difference.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:22 pm

Yobot wrote:Was interviewed and offered positions by two state judges without one mention of grades. I also applied very early, which probably makes a difference.

Mind if I ask how many state judges you applied to?

Also, when I say my gpa blows, I mean relative to my class of course.

Return to “Legal Employment”