How do GULC transfers do?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TLSTransfer

How do GULC transfers do?

Postby TLSTransfer » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:47 pm

The data on transfer OCI is very limited, so I'm hoping someone who goes to GULC or transferred to GULC has anecdotes on how transfers did this past OCI.

I'm considering the transfer, I don't have much geographic preference. I would like D.C., but if it's too competitive I wouldn't mind using all/most of my bids on NY and secondaries.

Anonymous User

Re: How do GULC transfers do?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:43 pm

This is written as a GULC 2L with a NYC V100 SA for this summer who loves both DC and GULC.

If you're looking at transferring for purely jobs purposes, you likely have 13 better options in the T14. GULC OCI is tough for anybody given the huge class size and being a transfer puts you at a significant disadvantage. I only know a few transfers, but none of them have SAs for this summer (while the rest of the class has done quite well). If you're currently at a TTT, then ya, GULC's job prospects are probably an improvement over your current situation (even as a transfer), but they're not ideal. I figure, at worst, employers at our OCI will view you as a member of your previous school at whatever class rank you had. That means that you're in no worse a position than you are now, but you have access to more employers as our OCI is freakin huge.

Also, if you do come here, don't bid entirely DC. That is by far the most common cause for striking out at our OCI. NYC is much more forgiving to GULC students it seems.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:05 pm

I had a friend who went from a T1 third in his class to GULC. He ended up getting one or two V100 offers in secondary markets. Another transfer from a T1 to GULC didn't get anything, but I'm not sure how hard he tried at OCI. It can be fairly unforgiving if you don't interview well, but it at least gives you options to meet with firms who otherwise would never give you a screener. And don't bid on DC; stick to NYC or other markets with strong ties.

2LLLL

Postby 2LLLL » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:35 pm

As others have said I'd try to get into any other T14 and not count on DC. DC isn't really a home market in terms of hiring for GULC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:22 pm

I am a GULC 2L transfer... i know 8 or 9 transfers with V50+ jobs in NY and DC. (Anywhere from V5 to V45ish) as well as a few going to secondary markets.
Maybe the other transfer and i know different people...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:29 pm

Anon, non-OP from above here. Glad to hear that you know of so many transfers doing well. My sample size was 0/3, so I'd put more stock in yours. Regardless, I think my point that it'll be harder than as a transfer at the other T14s still stands. Nonetheless, that would probably still be an improvement over the job prospects at whatever school you're transferring from.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:56 pm

From my understanding, the biggest limitation transfers have (at least if they aren't accepted post-EIW), is just making sure they get the right bids in to get interviews. From speaking with attorneys at my 2L summer firm and asking more about the process (I'm not a transfer), they seemed to indicate that the firms have cutoffs for the school you transferred from, and that is perhaps more important in getting through the screener stage than anything. If you're below the threshold for your former school, the move to GULC or any other T14 won't really help you.

That said, I know plenty of transfers who are 3Ls and 2Ls who have done relatively well, but again, some of those came from higher-ranked schools so they had more options.

Return to “Legal Employment”