Jack Victor v. Brooks Brothers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
romothesavior

Re: Jack Victor v. Brooks Brothers

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:55 pm

mrloblaw wrote:
ruski wrote:ok. i was picturing you being serviced by danny devito or something

i would say 5'11/180 is normal build. for actually skinny guys i don't think BB is good

Their Regent (slimmer than the tent-suits they sell as regular) fits a bit baggy on me at 5'11 and 135 pounds (although nothing off the rack really fits perfectly at that height/weight); I have one and probably would not buy another. I haven't had a chance to personally try on their Milano (extra slim), but I think it's worth looking into for extremely thin people.

5'11 135? Jesus christ. Under Armor probably is baggy on you.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:56 pm

mrloblaw wrote:
ruski wrote:ok. i was picturing you being serviced by danny devito or something

i would say 5'11/180 is normal build. for actually skinny guys i don't think BB is good

Their Regent (slimmer than the tent-suits they sell as regular) fits a bit baggy on me at 5'11 and 135 pounds (although nothing off the rack really fits perfectly at that height/weight); I have one and probably would not buy another. I haven't had a chance to personally try on their Milano (extra slim), but I think it's worth looking into for extremely thin people.

5'11 135? Glad you made it out of Ethiopia in one piece.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:02 am

mrloblaw wrote:on me at 5'11 and 135 pounds

You fat sonofabitch.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:16 am

Always happy to massively derail a thread.

Point being, I couldn't see how their medium-cut stuff wouldn't [Edit: Look] perfect on someone with a moderately thin build. Just stay away from the Madison-cut.
Last edited by mrloblaw on Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:18 am

mrloblaw wrote:Always happy to massively derail a thread.

Point being, I couldn't see how their medium-cut stuff wouldn't loo perfect on someone with a moderately thin build. Just stay away from the Madison-cut.

A moderately thin person around 6 feet has 30-40 pounds on you. You're an extreme outlier. I think BB does fantastic suits, but each their own opinion I guess.

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:47 am

BeachedBrit wrote:
gntsf12 wrote:Brooks Brothers will be half-canvassed at best, unless you get Golden Fleece.

Do they make a full-fused suit? My understanding was no?

Some of the stuff at outlets is fused (I've gone in and checked this out firsthand). 1818 and up is half-canvas, and golden fleece is full canvas as someone mentioned earlier.

gulcregret wrote:Doesn't matter. Two criteria: get it tailored and for God's sake don't buy a suit from Jos. A. Bank.

Jos Bank is OK, I wouldn't buy anything below signature gold though.

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:22 pm

I have never fucking heard of Jack Victor.

BB is good when you're starting out. It's conservative/classic instead of too trendy, which you don't want to be when you're an SA/new associate. Just stay away from the contrast collars, fancy ties and pocket squares because you'll look like a douche.

Agree that BB is baggy though. That's why you graduate to Charvet and Brioni when you've been out of law school for a few years and have more spending money.

gp86

Postby gp86 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:37 pm

thesteelers wrote:Agree that BB is baggy though. That's why you graduate to Charvet and Brioni when you've been out of law school for a few years and have more spending money.

I wouldn't say "baggy," just cut entirely different than European suits. What we call baggy our grandfathers would fondly refer to as "full-cut." And in a practice as traditionally conservative as the legal field, suits that Ari Gold would wear raise distasteful eyebrows from the gray-hairs at firms. But I do agree that the modern American suit - two-buttoned, darted, moderate shoulder padding - is built for broader-chested men. It's a half-assed medium between a true sack suit, which has natural shoulders and hugs the body, and European cuts.

cogitoergosum

Postby cogitoergosum » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:52 am

Someone said no pinstripes - what's that about? Would you guys say no black too? I've heard enough old timers say black is NOT for the office, so i have stayed away from that and would suggest same for OP.

Postby 20130312 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:41 am

cogitoergosum wrote:Someone said no pinstripes - what's that about? Would you guys say no black too? I've heard enough old timers say black is NOT for the office, so i have stayed away from that and would suggest same for OP.

Real talk: black suits make white people look like ghosts. Pretty much every race except for whites can rock a black suit no problem, though.

cogitoergosum

Postby cogitoergosum » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:38 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
cogitoergosum wrote:Someone said no pinstripes - what's that about? Would you guys say no black too? I've heard enough old timers say black is NOT for the office, so i have stayed away from that and would suggest same for OP.

Real talk: black suits make white people look like ghosts. Pretty much every race except for whites can rock a black suit no problem, though.

Yeah, and lots of older/more established guys talk about black suits in the office like they're a young hipster fashion statement type of thing - almost like wearing a tux to work (and I don't think most of us are interested in making a fashion statement like that). However, I have heard a couple of attorneys talk about black suits for actually appearing in court, so perhaps that's more between the lines, since it is a little more formal.

Maybe this isn't new to anyone, but I certainly didn't know it until I was told. I have since invested in navy/charcoal suits and been very happy.

Return to “Legal Employment”