Jack Victor v. Brooks Brothers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
portaprokoss

Jack Victor v. Brooks Brothers

Postby portaprokoss » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:22 pm

Both are 600. Who makes the better suit?

MrPapagiorgio

Re: Jack Victor v. Brooks Brothers

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:27 pm

I prefer Boss suits, but you can never go wrong with Brooks Brothers.

drudgemyhuff

Postby drudgemyhuff » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:28 pm

I'm a BB guy myself. I would go with them, but you can't go wrong with either.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:31 pm

Brooks Brothers has been the quintessential American menswear brand for almost 200 years. There really isn't a more safe, middle-of-the-road option out there. I wouldn't pay full price for their suits, because they have great sales a few times per year, but even their bottom end stuff is sufficiently well made for biglaw, etc.

Who the Hell is Jack Victor? Edit: Men's Wearhouse brand?
Last edited by mrloblaw on Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gaud

Postby gaud » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:33 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:you can never go wrong with Brooks Brothers.

True Story.

gulcregret

Postby gulcregret » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:28 pm

Doesn't matter. Two criteria: get it tailored and for God's sake don't buy a suit from Jos. A. Bank.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:34 pm

They sell Jack Victor at Saks, so it can't be THAT awful

Postby 20130312 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:43 pm

kalvano wrote:They sell Jack Victor at Saks, so it can't be THAT awful

Suit yourself.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:02 pm

Jack Victor will lead you straight to the unemployment line.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:17 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
kalvano wrote:They sell Jack Victor at Saks, so it can't be THAT awful

Suit yourself.

Not in Jack Victor.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:58 am

portaprokoss wrote:Both are 600. Who makes the better suit?

BB at $600 is ok. You can easily get Jack Victor for 250-350. Check Lord & Taylor. There's nothing wrong with either of these suits for a law student/summer associate, just no pinstripes.

For BB, make sure to get the suit fit that works with your body type. Their basic suits tend to be too boxy for a slimmer frame. If you're at a normal weight, you're going to need Regent or Milano.

And make sure to get it tailored.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:02 am

at that price, suitsupply.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:21 am

Doorkeeper wrote:And make sure to get it tailored.

This goes for any suit. Even a $2000 suit will look like shit if it isn't tailored to your frame.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:56 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:I prefer Boss suits, but you can never go wrong with Brooks Brothers.

+1 - I don't know Jack Victor, but BB suits are cut for heavier people. They still look baggy to me, even with proper tailoring.

Go to a store, try on a bunch of suits. You will find a brand and cut that looks good and fits right, then you get it tailored to make it perfect.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:52 am

Jack Victor is a homeless dude who gives beejes for drug money. If you want quality, go with BB.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:04 am

bdubs wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:I prefer Boss suits, but you can never go wrong with Brooks Brothers.

+1 - I don't know Jack Victor, but BB suits are cut for heavier people. They still look baggy to me, even with proper tailoring.

Go to a store, try on a bunch of suits. You will find a brand and cut that looks good and fits right, then you get it tailored to make it perfect.

Isn't that what the slimmer cuts are for? A lot of the stuff I see on the Hugo Boss website seems way too fashionable as a suggestion when steering a newbie toward conservative business wear. There's definitely some nice suits in there, though.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:18 am

mrloblaw wrote:Isn't that what the slimmer cuts are for? A lot of the stuff I see on the Hugo Boss website seems way too fashionable as a suggestion when steering a newbie toward conservative business wear.

I got the impression last time I went to BB that the vast majority of their suits are wider cut, and they have a few "slim cut". I've had hit or miss results with "slim cut" because they seem to over-correct and make something that is for a 6'4" 160 lb dude who looks manorexic.

Hugo Boss has a number of lines, the Boss Black and Boss Black Signature lines are very classic and business friendly. I agree that some of the other lines are too fashion forward for law.

BeachedBrit

Postby BeachedBrit » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:35 pm

At that price, neither.

Step 1A: Go to some of the flash sale sites and sign up for a couple, I suggest RueLaLa or Gilt in that order (not sure if i'm allowed to make said suggestions on here so my apologies if not). You routinely see BB and better labels going on there for under $500 (for their nicer lines too).

Step 1B: Know your suit size
Step 2: ????
Step 3: Profit.

Boss suits are known for being fused and not canvassed, this is bad and leads to the bubbling you see on a lot of suit lapels. The key is to find something that is, ideally, fully canvassed, although half-canvas is fine. This isn't something that is easy to do as most store employees have no idea and it isn't something labelled on the suit. Additionally be sure to find a good tailor, for this I recommend Yelp and some careful research in the reviews to find men who have nice suits who recommend them. Looking for somewhere that makes custom suits is a good indicator that they know what they're doing.

Recommended brands and price ranges that I'm fairly certain don't make a fused suit at all:
Hickey Freeman - $300 to $500 (note: don't confuse this with "Hickey")
Brooks Brothers - $200 to $400

For additional info i'd recommend some reading on http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/index.php
(yes I know it's full of a lot of very old people with old world style, but, they know their tailoring)

gntsf12

Postby gntsf12 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:37 pm

Brooks Brothers will be half-canvassed at best, unless you get Golden Fleece.

BeachedBrit

Postby BeachedBrit » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:17 pm

gntsf12 wrote:Brooks Brothers will be half-canvassed at best, unless you get Golden Fleece.

Do they make a full-fused suit? My understanding was no?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:18 pm

bdubs wrote:

You're joking, right? They have multiple lines. My main guy at BB is like 5'1 and maybe like 180 pounds. Guy looks like a saint. Wears some of the most perfectly tailored, fresh looking suits I've ever laid eyes on. The man has style. Not even remotely baggy. Kind of a silly comment, IMO.

If you really want a nice suit, drop a G and get a MTM.

ruski

Postby ruski » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:59 pm

romothesavior wrote:
bdubs wrote:

You're joking, right? They have multiple lines. My main guy at BB is like 5'1 and maybe like 180 pounds. Guy looks like a saint. Wears some of the most perfectly tailored, fresh looking suits I've ever laid eyes on. The man has style. Not even remotely baggy. Kind of a silly comment, IMO.

If you really want a nice suit, drop a G and get a MTM.

yea no shit. at 5'1 and 180 pounds nothing will be baggy on you.

in truth for skinny guys brooks brothers is a bad choice. their regular cut is way too baggy, and their "slim" is more like a regular cut, not a slim cut. for guys who are actually slim, they're slim cut will still fit like a bag.

im curious if anyone here has heard of/tried indochino suits (http://www.indochino.com/) custom made suits for less than 400. you just give them your measurements and they have it made in china and shipped over, and they pay for tailoring to get it fixed after you received it. the suits on their website look pretty good

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:01 pm

Five foot eleven is what I meant... typo...

ruski

Postby ruski » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:04 pm

ok. i was picturing you being serviced by danny devito or something

i would say 5'11/180 is normal build. for actually skinny guys i don't think BB is good

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:50 pm

ruski wrote:ok. i was picturing you being serviced by danny devito or something

i would say 5'11/180 is normal build. for actually skinny guys i don't think BB is good

Their Regent (slimmer than the tent-suits they sell as regular) fits a bit baggy on me at 5'11 and 135 pounds (although nothing off the rack really fits perfectly at that height/weight); I have one and probably would not buy another. I haven't had a chance to personally try on their Milano (extra slim), but I think it's worth looking into for extremely thin people.

Return to “Legal Employment”