Journal board position?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Journal board position?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:18 pm

Quick question--
I am a 2L and have a summer associate position lined up with a large firm. My GPA is slightly above 3.5 (T20) and has improved with each semester. I am a member of a secondary journal; I am wondering how important it will be for me to obtain an executive board position for next year. While I'd rather not run for a position, I would very much like to nail down a permanent job offer from the firm.
Advice?

Thanks!!

Anonymous User

Re: Journal board position?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:52 pm

Anecdotally, edboard positions on secondary journals are generally worthless, much like membership in a secondary journal. There is no way a firm offer is ever going to ride at all on whether you have an edboard position or not. Nobody cares. Forget about secondary edboard and enjoy all that extra free time during 3L.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:07 pm

Agreed. 3/4 eboard members of my secondary journal at a T14 graduated with no job prospects last year. Get higher grades and try to lateral up to a better firm or do something that builds real skills like a clinic or oral advocacy. Or just take a break.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:09 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:Agreed. 3/4 eboard members of my secondary journal at a T14 graduated with no job prospects last year. Get higher grades and try to lateral up to a better firm or do something that builds real skills like a clinic or oral advocacy. Or just take a break.

That's probably because unemployed people flock to these positions.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:Agreed. 3/4 eboard members of my secondary journal at a T14 graduated with no job prospects last year. Get higher grades and try to lateral up to a better firm or do something that builds real skills like a clinic or oral advocacy. Or just take a break.

That's probably because unemployed people flock to these positions.

Possibly, but probably not, one spent their 2L summer in the DOJ SLIP and the other spent it at an international firm as an SA that didn't hire full-time. Being on the eboard didn't help or hurt them (other then by distracting them during 3L OCI).

dood

Postby dood » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:21 pm

makes no difference whatsoever with respect to getting an offer.

might be good for other things in life - clerking, networking, lateraling, etc. but even then, unless u have a specific use in mind, dont do it just to do it b/c its extra work for little benefit

2LLLL

Postby 2LLLL » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:29 pm

Wouldn't do it unless you really want to clerk.

You've already done the #1 thing you can do to ensure a full-time post-graduation offer: get a 2L SA offer

Return to “Legal Employment”