Fired from a Job before Law School as a 0L

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Fired from a Job before Law School as a 0L

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:01 pm

I am a 0L planning to attend a t14 law school this coming fall. I recently got fired from a job I have held for the past few months (<6 months). It is a legal assistant job and the employer was vague as to why I was fired, but seemed to have no problems with my character and work ethic (more that just I wasn't a good fit for the position, my skill set didn't match the secretarial duties: answering phones etc) My employer mentioned that he/she was still willing to provide references for me, etc.

So question to all current law students: how will this affect my future job prospects once I start law school? Will i have trouble with finding a job at oci? Do oci interviewers ask if you have ever been fired from a job before? Is it okay to leave this off my resume since my duration at the job was so short (< 6 months)? i know many employers do general background checks once you are hired, so i was concerned that this might really hurt me. This issue became alarming to me, because i considered applying for the SEO corporate law internship and i saw a question there that asked if i had ever been fired. if anyone has any experience with this, i would really appreciate it.

Extra-freaked out 0L here. :shock:

Anonymous User

Re: Fired from a Job before Law School as a 0L

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:06 pm

I've never been asked at a job interview if i was ever fired. I was let go from an undergraduate work study job, but, I just took it off my resume, since the job was just secretarial, didn't add anything to my resume, and, I believe I was wrongfully terminated. Then again, things might be different for you if you have a gap in your resume. Since I was in school at the time, I don't. But honestly, it's never wise to use someone who fired you as a reference.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:18 pm

I had a somewhat similar situation. "Laid-off" from a job prior to summer before 1L. Guy said he was reorganizing. Turns out it was somewhat true. After 2 weeks he called and asked me if I had any time available since someone had taken ill. A week later he begged me to stay the summer. Turns out the family friend he had to hire (the reorg) was a bust so he wanted me back. I really wouldn't worry about it but maybe you could spin it as a layoff due to company rqts. Is it at allpossible this could be true?

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:25 pm

if its a reputable firm that fired you then when your future employer calls the firm the firm will simply confirm when you worked there and when you left and won't provide any other color. And if its a biglaw firm that is making the call as your future employer they likely will not even ask why you left. basically don't worry about it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:35 pm

I'm contemplating quitting my job in April/May (am a 0L) - is this information that I have to disclose to the law school? Are you (first poster) planning on telling the law schools?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:45 pm

it shouldn't make too much of a difference at OCI at all. It wasn't like you were fired for misconduct or something. You shouldn't need to put it on your resume, but you WILL need to disclose it on the C&F app in your state (I know Texas and CA both ask (in different ways) if you've ever been let go from any position for any reason).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:34 pm

OP here.

Thank you so much for all of the replies. To address a few of the questions, I am unsure as whether to disclose it to the law school I am attending, but as of now, I don't plan to. I will probably leave it off of my resume when I look for new jobs at the present time/ OCI recruiting. I plan to disclose it to C&F, however. And finally, I wouldn't be able to spin it as a lay-off. I was serving as the executive assistant to one of the attorneys of the firm (very small but successful). I don't think she dislikes me, but I just wasn't good at all of the tasks, which required a very good short-term memory and secretarial experience, which I had none of.

Does the above course of actions sound appropriate/ will I get in trouble for any of the above? I want to strike a balance and protect my self-interest but also not do anything unethical/ that will get me in trouble.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

Thank you so much for all of the replies. To address a few of the questions, I am unsure as whether to disclose it to the law school I am attending, but as of now, I don't plan to. I will probably leave it off of my resume when I look for new jobs at the present time/ OCI recruiting. I plan to disclose it to C&F, however. And finally, I wouldn't be able to spin it as a lay-off. I was serving as the executive assistant to one of the attorneys of the firm (very small but successful). I don't think she dislikes me, but I just wasn't good at all of the tasks, which required a very good short-term memory and secretarial experience, which I had none of.

Does the above course of actions sound appropriate/ will I get in trouble for any of the above? I want to strike a balance and protect my self-interest but also not do anything unethical/ that will get me in trouble.

I believe your law school is required to turn over your application to the bar you apply to. My ethics counselor said you can amend it after being admitted, so that might be an option/requirement depending on what exactly you said on your application.

Return to “Legal Employment”