Government jobs and security clearance background checks Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Government jobs and security clearance background checks

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:42 pm

Does anyone have experience with "security clearance background checks"? What do they entail and what specifically are they looking for that might disqualify you?

I am wondering if it is worth my time to be applying to certain government jobs that require this....

No convictions but prior drug arrest, four years ago...

kalvano

Diamond

Re: Government jobs and security clearance background checks

Post by kalvano » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:45 pm

What kind of arrest? Misdemeanor or more serious? Drug arrests are a pretty big no-no.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:46 pm

I have been through one, PM for questions. All I can say with regards to the arrest is disclose every single detail about it. You'll fill out an ~34 page document that gives you plenty of opportunities to explain past behavior.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:56 pm

I used to administer security clearances. Answer everhing truthfully. Err on the side of too much. Be prepared to fill in every address you have lived at since high schoo, the current name/address/phone of someone who knew you there, etc. Your credit will be run, anything past due will hold you up considerably. Don't list the same reference twice, if the don't have enough references they will hold your clearance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”