Bad 2L fall grades. SA position in jeopardy?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
wildhaggis

Re: Bad 2L fall grades. SA position in jeopardy?

Postby wildhaggis » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:44 pm

This is pretty ridiculous. OP, you're going to be fine. Grades should be a distant secondary consideration compared to performing well as an SA, which is 100% how you will be judged.

jk2011

Postby jk2011 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:50 pm

MrAnon wrote:That's not exactly true.

If your 1L grades look like this

A- A-
A A
B+ A
A B+

And your 2L grades look like this

B+
B
B
B

A question could be raised. Often times one partner might want his candidate to stay and another partner might not like his candidate. Stuff like this gives at least fuel to the guy who dislikes the candidate.

Assuming all partners are male?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RMstratosphere wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:People need to calm down with the grades don't matter at all for an offer thing. I'm not saying it's critical, but I know that many firms ask for grades before making an offer. I have already been told that my firm does that. I'm beginning to realize that some of the things on here that are routinely repeated as if they are fact are often much less than that.

Name more than one firm or link a single story of someone being no-offered for grades.

This is the first time I've posted in this thread.

My firm (v100, non-NY) asked for grades from fall 2L and spring 2L before making the offer.

It's just as much an anecdote that grades aren't a factor as it is that they are, regardless of "TLS wisdom". If your summer performance gives your firm a reason to look at them, then they will.

Out the firm. I have either summered at, or have friends who have summered at, the following firms who did not ask for 2L or 3L grades: Nixon Peabody, Latham & Watkins, Kirkland & Ellis, Dechert, Mayer Brown, and DLA Piper.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
RMstratosphere wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:People need to calm down with the grades don't matter at all for an offer thing. I'm not saying it's critical, but I know that many firms ask for grades before making an offer. I have already been told that my firm does that. I'm beginning to realize that some of the things on here that are routinely repeated as if they are fact are often much less than that.

Name more than one firm or link a single story of someone being no-offered for grades.

This is the first time I've posted in this thread.

My firm (v100, non-NY) asked for grades from fall 2L and spring 2L before making the offer.

It's just as much an anecdote that grades aren't a factor as it is that they are, regardless of "TLS wisdom". If your summer performance gives your firm a reason to look at them, then they will.

Out the firm. I have either summered at, or have friends who have summered at, the following firms who did not ask for 2L or 3L grades: Nixon Peabody, Latham & Watkins, Kirkland & Ellis, Dechert, Mayer Brown, and DLA Piper.

I'm summering at one of the listed firms. They asked for an updated transcript from the fall. It may have been office-specific, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Out the firm. I have either summered at, or have friends who have summered at, the following firms who did not ask for 2L or 3L grades: Nixon Peabody, Latham & Watkins, Kirkland & Ellis, Dechert, Mayer Brown, and DLA Piper.

I'm summering at one of the listed firms. They asked for an updated transcript from the fall. It may have been office-specific, though.

im summering at one of the listed firms too - language in the letter was offer was contingent on a "comparable transcript"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Out the firm. I have either summered at, or have friends who have summered at, the following firms who did not ask for 2L or 3L grades: Nixon Peabody, Latham & Watkins, Kirkland & Ellis, Dechert, Mayer Brown, and DLA Piper.

im summering at one of the listed firms too - language in the letter was offer was contingent on a "comparable transcript"

I'm also at one of the above firms and have not had a transcript request nor did the offer letter contain that language.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm also at one of the above firms and have not had a transcript request nor did the offer letter contain that language.

means you probably aren't on partner track

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:45 am

My grades dropped 0.06. Am I done?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You can compare a 2.8 with a 4.1, right?

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:My grades dropped 0.06. Am I done?

not done, but might be taken off partner track

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:31 am

anyone know of QE asks for 2L/3L grades?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 am

Moral: Do well in your SA position. Do better next semester. Stop asking questions which will never get you the answer you want.

fluctuatnecmergitur

Postby fluctuatnecmergitur » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:10 am

So .. uh. what was the outcome? :)

Return to “Legal Employment”