Legal Options with an Accounting/Finance 1st Career

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Transitioning

Legal Options with an Accounting/Finance 1st Career

Postby Transitioning » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:19 pm

I am transitioning into law from a traditional accounting/finance role. For all you practicing professionals, I just wanted to get a dialogue going about the opportunities available that would enable me to successfully marry the two. Is there anyone out there with this current mix of expertise? Is there a demand?

Please help, your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

-Transitioning

LawIdiot86

Re: Legal Options with an Accounting/Finance 1st Career

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:24 pm

Transitioning wrote:I am transitioning into law from a traditional accounting/finance role. For all you practicing professionals, I just wanted to get a dialogue going about the opportunities available that would enable me to successfully marry the two. Is there anyone out there with this current mix of expertise? Is there a demand?

Please help, your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

-Transitioning

Accounting sets you up very very well for tax law and ERISA. It will give you a good base for corporate M&A and financial institutions regulation.

Finance sets you up very very well for investment management law and corporate finance (structured, project, etc) law. It will give you a good base for financial services law and financial institutions law.

Transitioning

Postby Transitioning » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:18 pm

Thanks, that is helpful.

Transitioning

Postby Transitioning » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:18 pm

Any additional thoughts from anyone????

2LLLL

Postby 2LLLL » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:38 pm

If you get into a solid school, this will be a big advantage for you in OCI. Top firms, especially in NYC, work hand-in-hand with financial institutions, and any firm anywhere is going to be dealing with accountants regularly. This will show that you can "speak the same language" as clients and other professionals with whom the firm will deal on a regular basis. Also, I've found that people with CPAs tend to outperform at OCI.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:59 pm

Corporate bankruptcy is very finance heavy.

Return to “Legal Employment”