1L Summer Job; HELP: what to do about references?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TheFutureLawyer

1L Summer Job; HELP: what to do about references?

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:42 am

So, I really should have thought of this earlier, but what kind of references are employers, specifically state judges, looking for? The only thing I can think to put is a state legislator who I interned for a few years back during UG (in a different state) and the two UG profs who did my LOR. Thing is, I haven't kept in contact with them. Grades haven't been released yet, and I know I didn't do well anyway, so law profs seem out of the question.

TheFutureLawyer

Re: 1L Summer Job; HELP: what to do about references?

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:22 am

Bueller?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:26 am

You don't have to rock a professor's class gradewise to get a professor rec. Do you have one that you built a good relationship with? Maybe one that appreciated your in-class efforts? Obviously you don't want to pick a prof whose class you bombed, but you don't need to be top of the class to get a strong rec.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:27 am

They're going to want references from professors. Do you know your professors? Even if you don't do particularly well, many professors will give you a fine recommendation, if they know you and they are aware that you put in the effort.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:42 am

No special relationship with any law professors, never really went to office hours, except once or twice. Not a gunner, but I spoke up when I knew the answer and no one else wanted to raise their hand. I can just ask I guess, but I don't know what they could say about me; "Oh, him. He managed to not piss himself during class, so go for it." If the judge asks for three, what would you do in my position? Should they all be law professors?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:45 am

If you did fine in LWR, I also recommend that. If your section for that class is small, it usually means your prof will know you a bit better and be able to speak to important/useful things, like how you actually write.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:47 am

ilovesf wrote:If you did fine in LWR, I also recommend that. If your section for that class is small, it usually means your prof will know you a bit better and be able to speak to important/useful things, like how you actually write.

Got one of the worst grades in LRW. seriously, fml.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:05 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:No special relationship with any law professors, never really went to office hours, except once or twice. Not a gunner, but I spoke up when I knew the answer and no one else wanted to raise their hand. I can just ask I guess, but I don't know what they could say about me; "Oh, him. He managed to not piss himself during class, so go for it." If the judge asks for three, what would you do in my position? Should they all be law professors?

Find one your profs that works or has worked in an area of law that interests you (alternatively one who you think would remember who you are or would be kindest). Shoot him/her an email asking if you could meet with him/her to talk about jobs and stuff (take a look at the prof's CV to have some questions beforehand). At the end of the meeting, ask if the prof wouldn't mind you listing him/her as a reference.

I would have at least 1 prof (probably more), but if you're struggling to get even 1 then go with former employers (heck undergrad prof if you have to and you know the prof would be responsive to you calling him/her and asking if it would be okay to use that person as a reference).

Return to “Legal Employment”